Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Ys Origin  (Read 30472 times)

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
Re: Ys Origin
« Reply #40 on: Dec. 21, 2006, 09:14:34 AM »
I find it funny that Dalles was a bishonen before he officially crossed over to the Dark Side (a la Senator Palpatine).
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec. 21, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »
I find it funny that Dalles was a bishonen before he officially crossed over to the Dark Side (a la Senator Palpatine).

"Biseinen."  Bishounen applies only to males under the age of 18.

Strange, but true...
Jeff "Call me DeuceBag!" Nussbaum - The greatest criminal in fan translation history! A lying, conniving, thieving, scheming, backstabbing monster of epic proportions!

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec. 22, 2006, 11:05:12 AM »
The game was released yesterday in Japan but websites are silent about it. I wonder if it sold well and if people here who imported the game had received it.

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
« Reply #43 on: Dec. 22, 2006, 01:13:04 PM »
Doesn't "seinen" mean "adult", not "man"?  I'm no expert in Japanese, so I have to ask.  I never grouped bishonen and shota together in the first place, so the distinction between bishonen, bishouta and biseinen is somewhat inane in my eyes.  Still, I like to correct myself whenever possible.

Anyway, it's pretty commonplace that a Japanese word has its meaning changed when it is adopted in America.  Like "ecchi" and "hentai", for instance.  Most people misuse these words so much that it's been accepted that "ecchi" means heavy on fanservice while "hentai" means sex.  (Note:  "ecchi"="kinky / racy / suggestive" in the sexual sense, "hentai"="sick / perverted", not necessarily related to sex).  Not to say that your comment is wrong -- I'd just like to point out that you won't get anywhere if you try to correct people in this regard (besides furthering my own knowledge).

Wow, that's one hell of a tangent.  Back to our regularly scheduled programming:  Joystiq gave the release some fanfare (not much).  I have not been able to check yet (damn content filters), but I think RPGamer and RPG Fan mention it as well.
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec. 22, 2006, 08:34:52 PM »
Nope they didn't mention anything until now.

Offline Gamemusicfreak

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Game Music Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Game Music Freak
« Reply #45 on: Dec. 23, 2006, 03:55:07 AM »
I preordered and since it didn't arrive on the 21st, I'm expecting it today. That's assuming it was shipped on the 21st, like their e-mail said.  Every time I have ordered from Falcom the package always arrives in two days. 
« Last Edit: Dec. 23, 2006, 03:56:53 AM by Gamemusicfreak »
Top favorite game series:  Ys, Legend of Xanadu, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy, Chrono Series.

Top 3 Favorite Game Music Composers:  Yuzo Koshiro,
Motoi Sakuraba, Nobuo Uematsu

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec. 23, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »
It seems that RyuRanX had received the game.

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec. 23, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »
The US Postal System sucks   :~(   I want my Ys Origin for xmas dammit

Offline marus

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Dec. 25, 2006, 09:43:36 PM »
Wohoo, my copy got here December 25th; lucky Christmas present for me!  And it came with a 2007 Falcom mini-calender, with some nice artwork from a lot of Falcom's games (mostly Ys).  I always like it when companies put in extras like that.

But I'm wondering, is there supposed to be two disks?  Mine only came with one (the play disk), but the case is one of those larger ones with slots for two disks.  Or was that just to make the box bigger?

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec. 25, 2006, 10:55:27 PM »
Wohoo, my copy got here December 25th; lucky Christmas present for me!  And it came with a 2007 Falcom mini-calender, with some nice artwork from a lot of Falcom's games (mostly Ys).  I always like it when companies put in extras like that.

But I'm wondering, is there supposed to be two disks?  Mine only came with one (the play disk), but the case is one of those larger ones with slots for two disks.  Or was that just to make the box bigger?
Xanadu next and Ys AON Small box both have the extra slot so no worrys.

Offline marus

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec. 25, 2006, 11:00:16 PM »
Cute how they package these... well, thanks for confirming that.  And Merry Christmas to everyone!

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec. 26, 2006, 01:30:30 PM »
It seems that some people are upset because this game is a Dungeon Crawler and you spend less time outside.

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Dec. 27, 2006, 09:22:31 AM »
It seems that some people are upset because this game is a Dungeon Crawler and you spend less time outside.

I think it was pretty obvious from the get go that this was going to be a Darm tower dungeon crawl.  I should be getting my copy today.  Im going to try and not make any judgements till then, but I must say the Gameplay looks great.  People should just enjoy it for what it is.

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Dec. 27, 2006, 01:27:45 PM »
Of course they should! It have a modified game engine and it is part of the whole Ys Story.

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Dec. 28, 2006, 10:23:18 PM »
I gotta say I think this game is friggen awsome!  Blows Felghana out of the water as far as Gameplay.  Well not so much blows out of the water as improves upon.  The only real gripe I have so far is Yunikas wind magic isnt near as effective for flying as Adols was.  Its alittle stiff but other then that she plays great.  Havent tryed Hugo yet.  Anyways, this is a great editon to the Ys series and im anticipating greatly then next Ys game!  Ys VII:  The Five Dragons of Altago anyone??  ;)

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 12:54:22 AM »
Once I have the game I will play as Hugo first because I think that with him the game is easier then I play with Yunika.

Offline geise

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 06:05:21 AM »
Man talk about a merry xmas.  I got Zelda for the Wii and my wife got me Ys Origins.  I love everything about this game.  I've always wanted to play an Ys game before Adols time.  It really is nice to know how the whole Ys story started.  I love  this just as much if not more so than Oath.  The gameplay is solid and even though it's pretty much you in Darm Tower it's still a very fun and exciting game.

Offline Gamemusicfreak

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Game Music Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Game Music Freak
« Reply #57 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 07:29:06 AM »
Got it on Christmas Eve, and I'm playing with Yunica first.  I'd say I'm over halfway through right now, but loving every minute of it, especially the bosses! :)
Top favorite game series:  Ys, Legend of Xanadu, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy, Chrono Series.

Top 3 Favorite Game Music Composers:  Yuzo Koshiro,
Motoi Sakuraba, Nobuo Uematsu

Offline nunuu

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Don't believe Ondore's lies! >:0
    • View Profile
    • http://nunuu.livejournal.com/
« Reply #58 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 09:11:08 AM »
Just wondering if anyone here is from Canada and if so, did you get your copy yet?   I have a sneaky suspicion that mine's in the country already but since Canada Post and customs are demented, I don't have it yet.  'Course I don't have a tracking number to check the status of it. >_>
« Last Edit: Dec. 29, 2006, 09:15:08 AM by nunuu »
We need more goofballs around here.

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 09:34:52 AM »
Just wondering if anyone here is from Canada and if so, did you get your copy yet?   I have a sneaky suspicion that mine's in the country already but since Canada Post and customs are demented, I don't have it yet.  'Course I don't have a tracking number to check the status of it. >_>

Email Falcom and ask them for the tracking number.  Be sure to inclued your reciept number.  ;)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #60 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 04:10:11 PM »
My copy arrived today, but I missed the delivery. :( I'll have to go to the Post Office tomorrow to pick it up. That blows.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline nunuu

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 04:38:27 PM »
I ... really hate it when that happens. :/  At least EMS stuff goes through Canada Post now.  It used to be Purolator and the closest depot was at some crazy busy intersection where you had to make a left turn before it. 9___9

But!!  I got mine today! \^O^/

http://pics.livejournal.com/nunuu/gallery/0000yzx0?page=2&.view=grid and
http://pics.livejournal.com/nunuu/gallery/0000yzx0?page=3&.view=grid

Please ignore all the cutesy stationery. ^.^~

The photos came out kind of crappy since my room doesn't have enough light.  (Plus, I think this Casio camera's not the greatest for indoor shots to begin with ...)

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Dec. 30, 2006, 07:23:49 AM »
I will probably receive my copy sometime in January 2007, with Ys I-II Complete and Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim. That blows. :( I hope I can still get Ys ORIGIN Entry Book and Falcom Calendar 2007 with my games.

Offline nunuu

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec. 30, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
I will probably receive my copy sometime in January 2007, with Ys I-II Complete and Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim. That blows. :( I hope I can still get Ys ORIGIN Entry Book and Falcom Calendar 2007 with my games.

^O^  LOVE your signature banner. ^___^

Hirm .... I dunno if anyone got the Entry Book as a mail order bonus. :/  I'd trade my calendar in for that, the demo disc, and the heart warmer!

Hope you get your game soon since it seems like you have a lot of Ys to play~!  Which one will you start off with first? ^.^

Offline ViperD

• Eager Initiate
  • Silly gilly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Dec. 30, 2006, 05:17:57 PM »
If people really want the Entry Book just make sure you ask for it when you make an order. You don't have to order Ys Origin to get it (you can probably just order an art book), as it's there to help promote stuff.
« Last Edit: Dec. 31, 2006, 12:29:01 AM by ViperD »

Offline nunuu

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec. 31, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »
If people really want the Entry Book just make sure you ask for it when you make an order. You don't have to order Ys Origin to get it (you can probably just order an art book), as it's there to help promote stuff.
:O!  You can do that?  I never knew. ^^;  I usually try to keep my e-mails to a minimal with them. :P

Offline ParalelUni

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Jan. 14, 2007, 08:53:35 PM »
Now all we have to do is talk NightWolve and his team into translating this after Ark...

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Jan. 14, 2007, 10:29:41 PM »
^^ I thought he said he was going to do legend of heroes 6 - I

so personally, i think someone else should do it and not load all the work to nightwolve all the time. This way, you can get to play it sooner.

Offline ParalelUni

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Jan. 15, 2007, 10:55:55 AM »

so personally, i think someone else should do it and not load all the work to nightwolve all the time. This way, you can get to play it sooner.

Is there really anyone else with his level of knowledge/expertise, and his attention to detail concerning the Ys games?

I guess what I'm asking is that is there anyone else out there that could do it and do it right like we know he can?
« Last Edit: Jan. 15, 2007, 11:01:04 AM by ParalelUni »

Offline mysticslayer22

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 11:15:32 AM »
Hope it gets released in the US, looks cool.

Get this album, March 23 2007, mark your calender.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 06:32:01 PM »

Is there really anyone else with his level of knowledge/expertise, and his attention to detail concerning the Ys games?

I guess what I'm asking is that is there anyone else out there that could do it and do it right like we know he can?

I'm not saying Psycho DeuceBag and nightwolve can't translate it or anything but even if there's no one on par with them, having someone with 90% of their skills is good enough I think

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #71 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »

Well, the thing is, I'm sorta greedy and want all these projects for myself, so I would never consensually give the OK for somebody else to do a game like this. Psycho DeuceBag and I are building an Ys empire after all... You see, we seek to become legends and you don't achieve that by passing up a new installment in the Ys series such as this.

The good thing is the way Falcom has protected the script, there really are only a few people on this planet that are in a position to figure out how to insert English along with the interest to do so... That means I don't have much of any competition to ever worry about. Thus, this is all really a pointless discussion. There's nobody else really out there to "get it to you sooner..." Plus, all the hacking work for Ys VI and Felghana lends itself to Ys Origin. It's the same engine, and I already know its secrets as far as the script is concerned.

Anyway, yes, the ED6 script is being worked on in the sense that I gave the whole script to the translator who's gonna take as long as she takes to finish it (I don't have to do anything with it at the moment, and I won't for a long while), but that doesn't mean I won't tackle this in the future. It's gonna be a long time (as in years and I definitely won't be touching it for all of 2007), but I don't expect the project to go anywhere by the time I am ready to work on it. After Felghana, there will be a much longer wait for our patches to come out. I will have much less time to work on these projects.

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 02:04:28 AM »
Psycho DeuceBag translated the Item list.
« Last Edit: Jan. 19, 2007, 02:20:18 AM by NightWolve »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #73 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 02:14:15 AM »

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 11:31:25 AM »
I'm trying to convince NW to let me handle most of the work on the Origin project, since I have more time than he does...

After I finish Ys V, of course. ;P
Jeff "Call me DeuceBag!" Nussbaum - The greatest criminal in fan translation history! A lying, conniving, thieving, scheming, backstabbing monster of epic proportions!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #75 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 08:16:46 PM »
Well, I'm already convinced. I just need to build up the tools for you a little more and then it can be done. The kernel will have to load the script dynamically, instead of now where I have to compile it in VC++ and the DHTML script editor will have to output the script in a format the kernel would dynamically read. If I do that, you'll have full editing and instaneous in-game testing abilities, so YOU can do all the shitty grunt work of context checking and so forth. ;)

DDS image editing is not a problem. You convert them to Photoshop (or the latest PSP) format and work on them there, then I could handle any of them that deal with an alpha channel in the end or explain it a little more till you get the hang of it. It's just a little extra grunt work, although sometimes it can be troublesome if the DDS is being blended in a light background and it contains white text, etc.

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 09:48:16 PM »
Context-checking won't be so bad, if you give me the script-dumping setup.  I'll translate based on that, then move the results over into the editor.

I've got Photoshop now.  So basically, I just need you to walk me through the procedure once or twice, then I can take over from there. Manual images aside, we'll have a slightly easier time just because there's no diary or monster list this go-round.  So whenever you get things ready, just flag me down one evening.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Jan. 20, 2007, 03:03:13 PM »
Hopefully there will still be something released in 2007 following the trend of:

2004 - Ys I
2005 - Ys II
2006 - Ys F
2007 - Ys ?

Offline OmegaRanma

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Jan. 22, 2007, 07:39:01 PM »
Well by the going trend of translation releases.

I am hoping that Ys V is eventually finished it's translation sometime in 2007.

As Ys V is the only Ys game besides Origin that has not been thus far translated into english.

1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and Oath of Felghana which more or less a remake of 3.

of the numerical entries..only Ys V has yet to be among the English list of playable Ys titles.

Lets not rush Psycho DeuceBag, as I seeing his work in the demos on Youtube as well Ys I and II Complete, I expect only of the highest quality from him, as he has all the skills to do so.

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Jan. 26, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »
I'm about to order this through Falcom ... but can anyone explain the extras that can/do come with it? I want to get the big 120 page art book, does that come with it or is it separate?