Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Patch for the YsF Setup/Configuration Utility  (Read 8882 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Patch for the YsF Setup/Configuration Utility
« on: Jan. 08, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »
Here you are! All the requests for translations of the Setup utility get annoying after a while... This should keep you busy till the full patch goes public. Also, after patching with this, you won't need to launch config.exe with AppLocale anymore. This should be your result.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Re: Patch for the YsF Setup/Configuration Utility
« Reply #1 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »
The window for the setup util is messed up after the patch, I've attached a screenshot. Sorry if this is old/common. :x

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #2 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 06:38:21 PM »
What Operating System are you on, 98/ME/2K/XP?

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 06:48:16 PM »
looks like 95 or ME... Btw good job Night
Blaze, the man of simple words

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 07:07:38 PM »
WinXP Home SP2. Game runs fine and the Japanese setup ran fine under AppLocal.

Just to get any other info out of the way, I'm on a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with a GeForce 6800 Go on it (running 1440x900, widescreen). I wouldn't rule out the hardware doing something weird, but this kind of a bug looks like something odd going on with the window container/frame.
« Last Edit: Jan. 08, 2007, 07:12:10 PM by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »
i was sooooo wrong... does not look a think like XPHomeSP2 with Visuals off, but anyway, maybe because the resolution is set to "widescreen"? that or its probably the graphics card

try changing the resolution, then look, if its the same, then its NOT because of the resolution...
« Last Edit: Jan. 08, 2007, 07:50:05 PM by Blaze »
Blaze, the man of simple words

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
Yeah I checked the resolution and it didn't help to change it.

Did you write the config program yourself or did you just modify it? It looks like a bug with how the window container is calculated to me. Can't really say where the problem would be without seeing the source code though (I do know it's in C++, heh).

The other thing is that my Blood setting is a toggle and not a slider like in the first screenshot. Did that change or anything?

All in all it's a pretty minor thing, since I setup my controls in the japanese config and I just hit the 'high' settings for graphics. Would be good to fix it if possible though.

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 01:13:51 AM »
Hmm, interesting.
Looks like you went into the "Appearance" part of the "Display Properties" (possibly even Advanced), and changed the font and sizes away from the default setting.

Probably the form doesn't handle this gracefully (and it is much easier to return to defaults than to reprogram a game without source code).

Offline jpxtreme

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
At long last! Thank you NightWolve!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #9 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 12:16:12 PM »
Yeah, Dave's right. You did something (or, it wasn't your fault possibly) that's affecting the font size. The font is explicitly set to Tahoma, size 8, and yet something is being done to override that.

Did you write the config program yourself or did you just modify it? It looks like a bug with how the window container is calculated to me. Can't really say where the problem would be without seeing the source code though (I do know it's in C++, heh).

It's not really a bug. It's just not designed to handle the font and the size specified being overriden by the OS somehow which is what's happening here. It is asking for Tahoma, 8pt, and it is getting something much bigger for whatever reason. I fixed the width and height of the inner frame based on the results you get with Tahoma 8pt, basically. So, if that is somehow altered forcibly by the OS, it's not going to work out well.

And no, I didn't write this. I translated and edited all the dialog and menu resources and hooked them into the original Japanese executable.

The other thing is that my Blood setting is a toggle and not a slider like in the first screenshot. Did that change or anything?

That's how Falcom did it. Check the Blood setting once, hit OK, then restart the utility. Then you'll see it turn into a slider allowing you to increase it once more.

Could you check the Apperance tab attached below and be sure it's on normal? Also, run TocFixer and show me a screenshot of it, like the second image I've attached. I wanna see what it looks like on yours. You can get TocFixer here.

EDIT: On the third image I attached, I was able to reproduce the effect you're getting by changing my DPI setting from 96 to 120 (with having the font size in Appearance set to Extra Large). The 2nd column of options are being cut off exactly where the ones in your image are. So yeah, looks like you've been playing with these Display options. Would've been useful if you mentioned that to begin with.

Anyway, now that I can reproduce this, I might try seeing if I can somehow get the width/height of the window pane and adjust the inner frame width/height based on it. That would allow for better behavior if people have different display settings. Sheesh, what a drag...

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 02:08:01 PM »
I've actually never messed with the font sizes or DPI settings before, but it's possible Dell could have done that when they setup the laptop. The font sizes were set to Normal size, but I didn't check the DPI. I will when I get home... but yeah this is probably the problem.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #11 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »
Well, since I was able to reproduce the same effect here, I have made some changes to make it dynamically resize the inner frame. Download and run the Setup program again, and I think you should be OK from now on. It works here, both with normal display settings as well as 120 DPI plus extra large font settings.

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 04:05:38 PM »
Cool, thanks for the help. I'll give it a spin when I get home.

Edit: Yup, works fine.
« Last Edit: Jan. 09, 2007, 08:10:44 PM by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Offline raddbgt

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »
thx alot for the patch NW (at last no more japanese)

i just finshed my college exams, and it well make a good start  to advance in the game
i well try the patch when i put my hands on my pc

thx agin

devdevil

« Reply #14 on: Jan. 30, 2007, 06:33:42 PM »
nice work on that ;D