Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Patch for the Ys Origin Setup/Config Utility  (Read 36716 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Patch for the Ys Origin Setup/Config Utility
« on: Jan. 23, 2007, 05:45:36 PM »
Surprise. Yes, you read that right. This is a patch in its early stages, but pretty well done, that'll patch the Setup utility for Ys Origin to English, and it'll also allow you to run Ys Origin without App Locale in most cases. I don't think you'll get by unless you've installed the Japanese language packs though. But at the bare minimum, you probably won't have to boot to Japanese mode and stay that way, nor have to use App Locale. (Play with the High-Resolution Text option if your text appears as garbage.)

Anyway, enjoy and use this thread to lemme know how it works out for you. Also, spread the word. Cheers.

EDITx1: OK, you can download this patcher again. Now it'll download Falcom's latest 1.0.0.5 patch and install it for you ensuring that you're up to date. Easy as can be.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Re: Patch for the Ys Origin Setup/Config Utility
« Reply #1 on: Jan. 23, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »
wow godly as always

Offline El magnifico

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan. 24, 2007, 10:29:08 AM »
Yes !!

Thank you so much !  :D

Offline Trunks

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan. 24, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
Thanks a lot! You're the MAN!  ;D

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #4 on: Jan. 25, 2007, 11:36:28 AM »
I take it works great and you're all satisfied customers?

Tip: For anyone that has some hack enabled to access Adol in Time Attack mode or to enable hidden difficulty modes, you'll want to rename your original "yso_win.exe" to "yso_winXXX.exe" or something since this'll update you to 1.0.0.5 if you still want to preserve those hacks/cheats. Falcom changed how the cheats are enabled with 1.0.0.5, so after patching with this, you might've lost access to them if you didn't rename your EXE. You'll still be able to launch the renamed exe "yso_winXXX.exe" etc. with no issue, as well as the 1.0.0.5 one.

Offline nunuu

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Don't believe Ondore's lies! >:0
    • View Profile
    • http://nunuu.livejournal.com/
« Reply #5 on: Jan. 25, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »
!!!!  Spiffy information!!  Hopefully, Falcom's next patch will allow folks to get the guy in a legitimate way. :/
We need more goofballs around here.

Offline billpower

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan. 26, 2007, 09:43:17 PM »
Amazing job Night! Thanks very much for your effort!

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan. 27, 2007, 09:29:17 AM »
sweet, once again NW shows us his skillz. Good stuff, no complaints here.  ;D

Offline SkyeWelse

• Global Moderator
  • Eager Initiate
  • On a quest to find Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • XyZ - A Tribute to Xak, Ys, and Zelda
« Reply #8 on: Jan. 27, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »
Appreciate the work on the patch Nightwolve. : ) Now I can tweak the settings a bit more. And yeah I'm also hoping there turns out to be a legitimate way to unlock the Time Attack Adol rather than creating files and such manually.

-SkyeWelse

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan. 27, 2007, 11:06:54 PM »
Not sure where I read it, but supposedly with the newest Falcom patch after you beat the game with Thor, Adol becomes unlockable in Time Attack.

Offline Zapages

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Prince of Persia Legacy
« Reply #10 on: Jan. 28, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »
I haven't been active as I usually am, because 2nd Semester has started... But I'm very grateful for this Nightwolve.  :) Thank you man!!!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #11 on: Jan. 28, 2007, 09:00:12 AM »
Eh, my advice, don't be playing or thinking about video games during your college days. That's your make or break period, and you don't need distractions.

Offline SkyeWelse

• Global Moderator
  • Eager Initiate
  • On a quest to find Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • XyZ - A Tribute to Xak, Ys, and Zelda
« Reply #12 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
Eh, my advice, don't be playing or thinking about video games during your college days. That's your make or break period, and you don't need distractions.
That's good advice. I'm also in a semester of college right now after not having been in school for a few years. Right now I probably should be moving on to my next study to work on, but I'm just so damn addicted to Ys Origin right now that I can't get away from it for too long. lol

-SkyeWelse

Offline Zapages

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Prince of Persia Legacy
« Reply #13 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 07:46:03 PM »

Advice taken...  :)  Thank you for caring and for giving me good sincere advice.  You won't believe what I've gone through because of the video game industry(being used by big company for free and only getting few gifts like games, but no monetary aid at while they would aid other people involved franchise of games that came after me)  and how it affected by grades in college. :|   >:( :-[ :-\  :~( I've learned my lesson, now a days I only play video games when I am on vacation (being summer or winter break). I haven't played Ys Origin since January 7th...   My Junior Year classes started on the 8th of January. So no video games or anything of that nature.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 09:02:41 PM »

upper division I understand, but lower division also? come on man, almost everyone I knew just gamed non-stop when they were in lower-div. Now upper division is a different story.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #15 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 09:11:57 PM »
See, I've wondered about the difficulty of today's students versus when I was in college. It's just something that caught my interest a while back. Not just solely on the distraction of a video game, but the Internet. Some of the gaming forums I used to visit I would see college students spending way too much time on there, and I would think back to when I was in college myself and I'd wonder, "What if I knew about forums and had high speed internet access from home back then?"

When I was in college, I gave up TV, movies, my game magazine subscriptions, video games, all that stuff, and I was pretty much there all day, and sometimes Sundays. Finally when I started my major in Computer Science and minor in Physics, I went from "C" student, to "A" student, to Dean's list, etc. That's what it took. Tough discipline and sacrifice.

Oh, while we're at it, here's the secret right before the big exam, midterm, whatever:  A can of Coke or Cafe Mocha to drink down a Snickers bar... It works like a charm, everytime!

Anyhow, I look back at that now though, and I say, shit, I was fortunate to have been able to avoid all the pitfalls the Internet can lead one to... You young'un's though, you're all fucked. ;) See, there wasn't much to do with a shitty 28 kbps modem as we had back then, so you didn't discover all these distractions the Internet has to offer. Somehow, even at the university's computers I avoided getting caught up in anything. Mostly, I still thought of a computer as a business tool, not no socializing network like with IRC, BBS, etc. It must've helped I guess that browsers sucked and you mostly just used them for research.

Now High School, I'm lucky to have made it through. I was still a hardcore gamer then. Every lunch period, every study period, I was off pumping quarters in Street Fighter 2 and/or Mortal Kombat machines, etc. I was a terrible student, naturally. The only thing that I have to remember from that period as well as my NES/SNES days is sore, arthritic thumb and index finger joints.

upper division I understand, but lower division also? come on man, almost everyone I knew just gamed non-stop when they were in lower-div. Now upper division is a different story.

I guess you mean to say that they were managing it? Yeah, if your goal is to simply "get by," that works. My interest is I just wonder how much better their grades would've been. I would be impressed with those that still managed to get high GPAs. I also wonder now with the Internet, how much more difficult it is for today's batch of students, etc. The amount of distractions having so vastly increased since '96, I know I couldn't have handled it. They gotta have it tough these days, bottomline.

Offline Agent_K64

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Hax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 10:06:20 PM »
Yes, the internet is a horrible thing. D:
I'm browsing this forum instead of working on catching up on the work I missed...
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan. 30, 2007, 02:07:46 PM »
Oh, while we're at it, here's the secret right before the big exam, midterm, whatever:  A can of Coke or Cafe Mocha to drink down a Snickers bar... It works like a charm, everytime!

Having caffeine and sugar rush at the same time WOULD help you analyze and recall things better but if you had nothing in you to begin with it means nothing. So in the end you still have to learn your stuff first. While we're at it, I think it really depends on the person we're talking about. Like my first year roommate was this hindi guy who would just game all day non-stop. He would skip classes to sleep in for those morning classes and then learn the stuff later while doing homework. But the thing was, he still pulled off As. And I was like "dude, that's so not cool man." And here I was just studying an hour or two each day (I admit it's not a lot, but it's a habit you have to keep up) and barely got B's. I would say certain people requires different studying environments. Some people need to be quiet while studying, others need music to study or else they get bored. I guess it varies from peopel to people.

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan. 30, 2007, 04:40:50 PM »
It also depends on what degree you are going for. I went for CMSC, and most everything related to computers comes pretty easy for me, so I didn't really need to study much for any CMSC classes. Other classes needed a lot more work though (stupid Japanese).

Everyone learns differently though. Some people just pick stuff up easy, and some people need to study a lot to get anywhere.

I spent a lot of time playing games in college and still did well. It's mostly just about time budgeting and knowing that work comes before play. Too many people don't take classes seriously enough, especially in their first year.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #19 on: Jan. 30, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
Having caffeine and sugar rush at the same time WOULD help you analyze and recall things better but if you had nothing in you to begin with it means nothing.

Yeah, uh, I wasn't arguing otherwise... Drinking sugar and caffeine is not a way to drink in knowledge. You know it was partly a playful comment, not an end all be all I trust.

But there you go folks, you heard it here first in case you got the wrong idea with what I said. Captain Obvious to the rescue. ;)

So in the end you still have to learn your stuff first.

Yup and grass is usually green, the sky usually blue. ;)

While we're at it, I think it really depends on the person we're talking about. Like my first year roommate was this hindi guy who would just game all day non-stop. He would skip classes to sleep in for those morning classes and then learn the stuff later while doing homework. But the thing was, he still pulled off As. And I was like "dude, that's so not cool man." And here I was just studying an hour or two each day (I admit it's not a lot, but it's a habit you have to keep up) and barely got B's. I would say certain people requires different studying environments. Some people need to be quiet while studying, others need music to study or else they get bored. I guess it varies from peopel to people.

Well, I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. I wouldn't formulate a general, well-meaning piece of advice based on your Hindu friend where I'd recommend playing video games nonstop. If I thought he represented a significant segment of the student body, I wouldn't have my opinion and I think we'd have much higher graduating GPA results to show for it.

Sure, you're gonna have above average folks like your friend, that have very good retention. The knowledge has to come from somewhere, as we've well established. So, if he was pulling A's all the time, he needed very little study time because of his retention and intelligence level. To state the obvious, it sounds like he was a smart dude.

Of course there are exceptions to norms, and therefore certain individuals can still be productive in environments you wouldn't normally expect them to be in. If Zapages told me, nah, I'm pulling A's & B's actually, there wouldn't be much else to say. He's got his formula for success, and that's cool. But what I'm speaking to is a formula that led to my early success, that is general sound advice, and is meant for someone whose grades aren't above par dealing with distractions that are hard to break, etc. It need not apply to your friend that you brought up. I wanna say to those that are just squeaking by, recognize that this is your last chance to prove to yourself that you can be not just a good student, but a great student. After you come out of there, you wanna be able to show your first potential employer that you were a cut above, with 3.5 GPA & above, etc.

Anyway, based on his response, he's not at the level your friend was. I know I have my regrets from allowing such distractions in High School to drag me down. I got nothing to show for those hardcore gamer days expect bad grades, and it wasn't until college that I took a tough stance and turned myself around. If you're not doing well, you gotta look at what is distracting you and seriously analyze it because one day when you're older, you're gonna wish you did things differently.

My spider sense tells me there was some friction here and while I'm not sure why, I'll simply say that we really had nothing to argue about if we're talking about someone that is already getting good grades. Though, I certainly don't believe and it's not been my experience as an observer to conclude there is an even handed mix of folks that can come out productive while in counter-productive environments or doing counter-productive things versus those that take the opposite, more intuitive approach.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan. 30, 2007, 09:32:53 PM »
^^ nah, no arguements here, i was just discussing my point of view, but with a standard of 3.5, that's like grad school quality of course people will look at you differently.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #21 on: Jan. 30, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »
but with a standard of 3.5, that's like grad school quality of course people will look at you differently.

Yup and that's what you want. :) Start letting go of some distractions if you're not there now.

Offline rocket

• Always an Ys Fan!
  • Eager Initiate
  • Which way to the sword shop?
    • View Profile
    • Ys I & II COMPLETE Bonus Item and Event Website
« Reply #22 on: Jan. 31, 2007, 01:15:54 AM »
hmm... I remember similar case to night.  Back when i started college in 93 there wasnt much of a good means to the net from either school or home. Also in the same boat i quit playing games from 93-2000.  It worked wonders for the gpa. was a 3.995 in college but in high school i couldnt break 3.0 until my senior year. When i started working though and finished community college, i got a little insane and decided i could do ASU and work full time together...  98-2000 were just a blur now. After finishing all that education i found i had no interest in most games and found i only really came back to Ys. in the end though it has all paid off...
« Last Edit: Jan. 31, 2007, 01:19:00 AM by mjmmx »
Someone once said being #1 just ain't realistic.

Ys I & II COMPLETE Bonus Item and Event Website

https://www.ysutopia.net/projects/yscomplete/bonus/

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #23 on: Jan. 31, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »
After finishing all that education i found i had no interest in most games and found i only really came back to Ys. in the end though it has all paid off...

Yeah, that's sorta my experience. First year goes by, you miss it, a little withdrawal syndrome, 2nd year, 3rd year, then your "hobby" instead becomes your education. But after you're out of college and start that first job, by then, your interest has waned a bit. You still appreciate some of the fun way back, and look at it with nostlagic eyes, but it just isn't the same anymore. PC & the Internet certainly took over in its place though.

Offline Nazer

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Alexander Nazarovsky
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb. 09, 2007, 04:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the patch :)

Offline zaratus

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb. 09, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
Slightly back to the original topic - would anyone happen to know which settings are the best to reduce to improve performance? I played around a little bit with them, but what I had changed didn't seem to really make a signifigant difference. 

The game runs mostly fine - some slight choppyness, barely noticable, for normal play - but I noticed some issues definitely while fighting the first 'big' boss.  Again, it wasn't so bad most of the time, but when he did that big arm swipe, there was a bit of frameskip, making it rather difficult to dodge that attack.  Also, it seemed to get worse when I used Boost during that fight. 

Another boss also seemed to cause some minor issues when he turned into his swarm of bats.  Playable, but irritating. 

I've not really kept up with most PC gaming as much lately and I just don't know what some of the options even DO anymore. 

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb. 09, 2007, 02:05:10 PM »
Turn VSync ON if you don't have it there already. The game seems to have some weird glitch where if you leave VSync off, it will get very choppy when some effects are going on (like the water in the first area). The frame rate will still be in acceptable numbers, but the screen will not update properly. It's pretty weird.

Turning the resolution down is going to be your best bet. After that, turn off anti-aliasing, and turn your texture filtering to Bilinear if it isn't already. You might also turn down dynamic shadows and the shader effects if you have to.

YsO seems to be a lot more demanding than YsF.. I could run YsF on highest resolution with everything turned up and be fine, but I run on one resolution down from highest in YsO. I still get some monster slow down in certain places too. In a few areas when running around outside the tower is the firey landscape in the background, it will chug down to 30fps or worse, for no real explainable reason.

The game also drops down to 20fps every time I open the store menu (might have to do with high-resolution text being on).

Offline aburas

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar. 07, 2007, 10:14:35 PM »
I have tried all of those settings but still no luck, is there a way even to lessen the graphics more, i cant even see myself move against the first boss.

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar. 09, 2007, 02:04:40 PM »
If you are running in 640x480 with details all down and you still can't get this game to run smooth, buy a new computer. Yours must be incredibly ancient. You can get a pretty modern machine for ~800$ or less that will play this game just fine.

Offline aburas

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar. 16, 2007, 08:02:34 PM »
Can anybody share their saved data for this game, it would really help me out because my computer is slowing down against this monster.

Thank you

Offline aburas

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Mar. 27, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »
When are you going to release the new setup patch?  Just wondering if i should update to the new patch or not, cant wait to play with adol!!

Offline aburas

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May. 13, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »
Dont know if this is supposed to happen but when i got the extra CD and i installed it, every thing was there (very easy, nightmare, the diary).  But when i got to see the characters i cant see adol.  Is that because i only beat the game with only one of characters.  Second i saw  on thier website that there was this "version Extra" is that for arena mod or for the adventure mod? (cant read jap) And finally is thier supposed to be extra bosses because i dont want to have to play with Hugo all over again if thier is not extra bosses?

Thanks

PS:  Parents got a new computer :)

Offline Battousai90

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Falcom Kingdom
« Reply #32 on: May. 15, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »
for Adol you need to finish the game in Hard mode with 3 character.
Arena is not time trial, is not just kill boss in certain time, this is Time attack. Arena mode ,you kill a lot of monster to win some money and buy bonus(like costume).

Offline Trunks

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug. 20, 2007, 11:39:28 PM »
Any plans on release an updated patch to use with latest 1.1.0.0 YSO update from Falcom?

Thanks!!

Offline tlaloc.quetzalcoatl

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Recovering R.I.G.G.-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct. 24, 2007, 02:18:33 PM »
Here is the updated link for Falcoms' Ys Origin patch version 1.0.0.5 that works with the translation patch for the Ys Origin Setup/Configuration Utility version 1.0.0.0:

https://www.falcom.co.jp/download_old/support/yso/yso_1005.zip

I don't know if the translation patch for the Ys Origin Setup/Configuration Utility version 1.0.0.0 will work for ANY patched version of Falcoms' Ys Origin other than Falcoms' Ys Origin patch version 1.0.0.5, but you can try

Here's the link to the latest as of 10/24/07:

https://www.falcom.co.jp/download_old/support/yso/yso_1103.zip

T-

Offline aburas

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan. 12, 2008, 09:48:08 AM »
Can someone send me the save files for Hugo Fukt, Yunica Tovah, The Claw in hard mode.  I just need the final boss.  You can either post them here or email them to head_bg@yahoo.com.

Thank you. :)