Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Ys Month @ "Dwelling of Duels"  (Read 5430 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Ys Month @ "Dwelling of Duels"
« on: Mar. 28, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »

EDIT: 8-17-2023
Updated Link: http://www.dwellingofduels.net/duels/09-03-ys/

OK, so I get a drive-by IM today with this link (dwellingofduels.net) and I'm like WTF is this ? What do I see here ?? Actual, productive Ys fans creating, contributing something as opposed to the usual run-of-the-mill bottom-feeding variety that I'm so used to that pretty much only know how to do one thing (besides bitch): pirate download... I must be dreaming I thought... Heh. How refreshing! These fans are actually uploading something, yesss, uploading, and what are they uploading? Something they created: Fanmade music arrangements from various Ys soundtracks!

For background, here's an explanation of this site verbatim from their FAQ since I was very unfamiliar with this sort of activity: "This is Dwelling of Duels - a monthly (sometimes bi-monthly) competition for VG cover artists who play live instruments. It is hosted by VGmix, a site dedicated to fan arrangements of video game music. The purpose of Dwelling of Duels is to provide impetus for artists to make songs by hosting friendly competitions with other artists, and to motivate artists to complete and release songs by having regular deadlines and monthly themes."

Well, the month of March apparently was Ys month and it has yielded wonderful results (in my view) that were a fine, pleasant distraction for the day! As such, I thought I'd host some of my favorite tracks here before that page and its links get moved around. Check out the other tracks, by all means, though.

My Top 5:

(While I placed Winged Boy last, I have to note though that I absolutely love the original Ryo arrangement that was used for the Ys III Turbo-CD, and the Felghana version is alright too.)

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline X-Calibar

• Experienced Guildsman
  • Gustave
    • View Profile
Re: Ys Month @ "Dwelling of Duels"
« Reply #1 on: Mar. 29, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
Let me add that the remixes Five-Finger Discount, and Kiss Me; FORCE me to smile lol  While not my favorites,  they are great remixes of a certain town and shop song :D
Unexpectedly fun songs here!

And personally I think the Ys 3 : Dawn remix is my favorite; brings back memories.  But, never heard it quite like this...
In second I'll say Ernst (Instrumental) and followed by Freak Winged Boy, A New Dawn ...

Hmmm, since we're on the subject of fan songs, check this site out (Sword of Justice) :
http://www.soj.razor.jp/music.html

Got that link the other day when someone was giving ideas for adding to the Ys soundtrack, it has 3 Ys songs on it (good stuff!) :
Battleground
Release of the Far East Ocean
Palace of Destruction

Offline SkyeWelse

• Global Moderator
  • Eager Initiate
  • On a quest to find Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • XyZ - A Tribute to Xak, Ys, and Zelda
Re: Ys Month @ "Dwelling of Duels"
« Reply #2 on: Mar. 29, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
I've been waiting for this Ys Dwelling of Duels to start. Glad to see that it's finally arrived! And now I go check out many new Ys remixes! : )

-Thomas
« Last Edit: Mar. 29, 2009, 08:22:28 PM by SkyeWelse »