Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Cheats for PAL Ys:Ark of Napishtim  (Read 10147 times)

Offline vcatkiller

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Jewellsoft
Cheats for PAL Ys:Ark of Napishtim
« on: Mar. 17, 2006, 05:10:40 AM »
I'm asking because everywhere I go, they happily provide the NTSC cheat codes, but I need the PAL codes.  Does anybody have them?  Specifically the original cutscene/Japanese voiceover cheats.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps I tried those Ys I&II English patches.  They rock!  Excellent work.  :D  Should probably keep myself on subject though...

(oops, edited, I don't have the codes, I need them.  Hope that clears up confusion.  :))
« Last Edit: Mar. 17, 2006, 11:06:22 PM by vcatkiller »
You!  Invaders!
Get you the hot bullets of shotgun to die!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: Cheats for PAL Ys:Ark of Napishtim
« Reply #1 on: Mar. 21, 2006, 02:38:48 AM »
I didn't know they were different. That's annoying they did that, but I can't recall ever seeing anywhere a distinction between NTSC and PAL for this. Sorry.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar. 21, 2006, 04:10:56 AM »
What's more annoying is this...

http://www.konami.com/gs/officialsites/eu_ys/english/ps2/cheats/index.html

Been like that for months. It's like Konami has totally forgotten about the PAL version. :rolleyes:

Offline vcatkiller

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Jewellsoft
« Reply #3 on: Mar. 24, 2006, 02:03:27 AM »
Yeah I contacted Konami via email but never got a response.  It's like they don't care about PAL regions.  Very dissapointing.  I'm happy they released the game, yes, but some support would be nice. >:(
You!  Invaders!

Offline Game_Hunter

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May. 14, 2006, 09:44:39 AM »
If you are trying to get the Japanese voices etc in the PAL version you are wasting your time.  As always, PAL owners got screwed and Konami Europe decidd to take OUT the Japanese voices and add German voices instead.  Just another reason I hate the PAL market and haven't bought a PAL games since the MD/SNES days.

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #5 on: May. 14, 2006, 10:24:02 AM »
The PAL game is much smaller in size than the the NTSC one, they have removed ALL the extra content (Japanese voices, anime cutscenes, etc).

But I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why anyone who isn't Japanese would want to use Japanese voices instead of English ones.
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: ! Sir, the door was open.

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
  • "Swing the Glove to Exit" -Jackie Chan POWERBOXING
    • View Profile
    • TurboPlay Magazine Archives
« Reply #6 on: May. 16, 2006, 07:24:22 PM »
But I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why anyone who isn't Japanese would want to use Japanese voices instead of English ones.
Well, once I play a game (or watch a movie) with an English dub, I often re-play (re-watch) the game / movie in the original language. The basic plot / story is fresh in my mind, but I am curious how the soundscape has changed. Sometimes it's not just the language -- but the background music, sound fx, etc. too -- that have been altered. For example, even silly little things like the sound of sirens on emergency vehicles are sometimes changed! I know, I know, I'm easily amused :)
  |    | 

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May. 17, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »
Is it really true that Konami of Europe has removed lots of extra content from the PAL version? Why did they do that for!? Oh well, at least the anime opening wasn't removed from the disc, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

Offline vcatkiller

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Jewellsoft
« Reply #8 on: May. 18, 2006, 02:16:16 AM »
Actually there's another reason why you'd want the Jap voices - the English speaking voice actors in this translation have all the acting skill of a Primary School drama class.  They're beyond awful.  Normally I put up with it but this was just some of the worst voice acting I've heard sinse Resident Evil.  I had to turn the voice volume down so I could take the game seriously.

The clips are there, btw, but the Japanese language option is gone!  Well, I guess the gameplay's still the same.  :)

Otherwise, some cheats I bled from Atari Australia:

Cheat Start -  Y1B1R1Y1B1R1
PC Mode - B1R2Y1 (haven't got working yet)
PS2 Mode - B1R1Y2
Some of the original clips: (I assume?)
Original Animation Opening - R1B1R1
The Great Vortex disappears and the Romun fleet enters - animation - B1R1Y1R2Y1B3
Romun fleet destroyed - animation - B1R1Y1R2Y1R3
Napishtim destroyed - animation - No subtitles - B1Y2R1Y1
Ending - animation - No subtitles - B2R1Y1R2Y1B1R1

Not all the cheats I admit - there's a fair whack of those in different subitles and the cgi stuff Konami decided to add, as well as the usual "become an immortal super megagod with fireballs shooting out of rectum" style cheats, but I'm not interested in them.

Anyways, thanks for the help.  :)
« Last Edit: May. 18, 2006, 02:18:29 AM by vcatkiller »
You!  Invaders!

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #9 on: May. 18, 2006, 06:10:44 AM »
The Japanese voice actors are just as bad, if not worse. Probably worse, much much worse.

Oh and by the way -- the Japanese voices are certainly not the "original" ones. The game was developed in North America and the Japanese voices were added after the English ones.
« Last Edit: May. 18, 2006, 06:12:06 AM by Seldane »
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May. 18, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »
Normally I put up with it but this was just some of the worst voice acting I've heard sinse Resident Evil.

LOL yeah that was classic. I also got a kick out of the line from the female in distress in House of the Dead 2... "Don't come! Don't come! Go away!"

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May. 18, 2006, 11:51:14 PM »
Actually, it was developed in China...

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #12 on: May. 19, 2006, 12:30:53 AM »
No the CGs were made in China, the game was developed on Hawaii.

Offline vcatkiller

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Jewellsoft
« Reply #13 on: May. 19, 2006, 07:50:16 AM »
Fair enough,  could've been made in Upper Ispecistan by savage monk seperatists in loincloths.  Still doesn't change the fact the voice acting's terrible.  (in any language apparently?)  Can be fixed by turning down the volume of the voices of course.  That and the cgi isn't terribly good either, but I can just skip those.  Go into the cheat room and watch the animated ones later or something.
You!  Invaders!

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
Umm... the English voices didn't come first.
« Reply #14 on: May. 23, 2006, 05:02:05 AM »
The Japanese voice actors are just as bad, if not worse. Probably worse, much much worse.

Oh and by the way -- the Japanese voices are certainly not the "original" ones. The game was developed in North America and the Japanese voices were added after the English ones.

While I respect your opinion of preferring the English voices to the Japanese ones, I have to shoot down your claim that the English ones came first.

The proof lies in the cutscenes for the PS2 version:  notice how the lips (not just the timing, but the actual lip movements) are perfectly synchronized with the Japanese dialogue, not English.  Pay close attention to the opening CG, particularly when Terra is speaking.  If the English ones came first as you claim, the lips would be synched to the English dialogue instead of looking like FFVII: Advent Children.

I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but I have to correct people when they say something that simply isn't true.
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May. 24, 2006, 09:57:16 AM »
Cat Killer! What's up man!? Migrated from Doom3World I see... cool suprise ;)
« Last Edit: May. 24, 2006, 09:58:28 AM by JoeQuaker »

Offline vcatkiller

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Jewellsoft
« Reply #16 on: Jun. 07, 2006, 07:37:15 AM »
Hellooo!  :)  You'll find I get around a lot of forums.  It isn't terribly hard to bump into me in various different locations.  (gotta check this place more often though it seems...)
You!  Invaders!

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
  • "Swing the Glove to Exit" -Jackie Chan POWERBOXING
    • View Profile
    • TurboPlay Magazine Archives
Re: Umm... the English voices didn't come first.
« Reply #17 on: Jun. 15, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »

While I respect your opinion of preferring the English voices to the Japanese ones, I have to shoot down your claim that the English ones came first.

The proof lies in the cutscenes for the PS2 version:  notice how the lips (not just the timing, but the actual lip movements) are perfectly synchronized with the Japanese dialogue, not English.  Pay close attention to the opening CG, particularly when Terra is speaking.  If the English ones came first as you claim, the lips would be synched to the English dialogue instead of looking like FFVII: Advent Children.

I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but I have to correct people when they say something that simply isn't true.
Seldane, you know I enjoy teasing you :). So where is your response to this post? Could it be true that you were mistaken? I'm just teasing :)
  |    |