>> Toggle Jukebox (On/Off) <<
>> Toggle Jukebox Size (Tiny/Max) <<

Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Poll

Which version of Ys IV is your favorite?

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (Super Famicom)
8 (9.9%)
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC Engine Super CD-ROM²)
43 (53.1%)
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun - A New Theory (PS2)
3 (3.7%)
I love 'em all / Can't decide
27 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Vote for your favorite version of Ys IV!  (Read 32083 times)

Offline Agent_K64

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Hax.
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for your favorite version of Ys IV!
« Reply #15 on: Feb. 18, 2006, 07:52:07 PM »
*cough*
I haven't played any of those. :p
*runs*
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb. 21, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »
I haven't got to play it yet either, but I'll vote PC-Engine because thus far those have been my fav Y's versions.

One small exception...

Y's III... that's what I'm on when I fire up my TurboDuo on occasion. I've only completed book 1 and 2 thus far. And as much as I hate most SNES versions... the intro to 3 was much better on SNES I though. Cool graphics, and that cool strange SNES fanfare music... and the weird techno sounding tune that plays as the wolf thing is being slain. All of that aside though, I still like the PC-Engine version best even with the crazy scrolling backgrounds... at a loss as to why.

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TurboPlay Magazine Archives
Re: RE: Vote for your favorite version of Ys IV!
« Reply #17 on: Feb. 21, 2006, 07:19:28 PM »
Then I got a PC Engine DUO-R and the first thing I did was to start Ys IV. I played it quite a lot, but then decided to RGB mod it. About halfway through the mod I realized that I didn't have enough information about how to actually get the signal to my TV, so I dropped it. I fired up my Duo and accidentally got into the save menu and even more accidentally managed to format the SRAM. The menus are in Japanese, that's why.
This was painful to read! I'm sure you have a Tennokoe Bank now, but you have had some seriously bad luck -- losing one game save is so frustrating, I can't imagine losing multiple saves. Insane!

Europrick

« Reply #18 on: Feb. 21, 2006, 07:30:48 PM »
Hehehe, believe it or not, but when I had finished the RGB amp just a few days ago (made one to yet enhance the video quality) -- the SRAM was once again corrupt. I had to re-format it. Ha ha ha! This is the third time! Started over a few days ago. Not too excited to play it any more though. ;)

But now I'm 100% finished with the modding*, so I don't think this will happen again. The PCE appears to be really sensitive -- tampering inside the console has corrupted the SRAM for me every time! Fortunately I haven't played on it that much so I haven't lost anything important yet. :)

*Still considering making a Jap/US Hu-card switch and replacing the red LED with a blue one though. We'll see what happens. ;)

Offline Paranoia Dragon

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Frozen Utopia
« Reply #19 on: Feb. 28, 2006, 04:59:46 AM »
Deffinitly DOY!  I've played thru both, though, I've only played thru DOY in Japanese, & I played thru MOTS in english.  Even so, I like the story better in DOY.  Without spoiling anything for anyone that hasn't played MOTS, there's just some story elements that annoyed me.  Plus, the gameplay stinks in it, I hate the sword/magic system n' all.  That's not to say I hate the game(though the final districts in the game make me want to hate it).  It's just my least favorite Ys ever.  The PS2 version, in some ways, had some improvements, but, it's overall pretty sad.  Sheesh, I hope Ys 5 for PS2 doesn't end up stinking!
Freedom is the right of all sentient beans!

Offline Haven

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Who knows? The Shadow knows!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar. 04, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »
Quite a shame that Dawn of Ys is sorta in an alternate timeline but for me it has the best (and I mean THE BEST) artwork in the series and it has a soundtrack that rivals even Oath of Felghana (especially that rocking Tower of Shadow and Death remix that should be in DeuceBag's alternate soundtrack) ^^

Even more of a shame was the fan dub project was scrapped. Either Nightwolve comes up with a way to add subtitles, or a miracle would happen and the fan dub project get's revived. T_T

If Falcom (and I do mean Falcom) is ever gonna remake Ys IV, I hope they grab the same character designer for Dawn of Ys , use voice acting (they're the dudes who voiced in the 80s Gundam shows I think), and probably improve the music if possible (and possibly Oath of Felghana quality).
« Last Edit: Mar. 04, 2006, 11:46:42 AM by Haven »

Boog

« Reply #21 on: Mar. 09, 2006, 07:51:46 PM »
I have Ys IV: Dawn of Ys with the english patch that is on a CD-R disc and my region free Super CD-rom II attachment that is hooked up to my Core Grafx/PC Engine and I played and almost beat it but it stopped working because the CD-R disc wasn't completely copied. :(

My Super CD-rom II attachment plays copied TG-16, PCE and Duo games. 8)
« Last Edit: Mar. 09, 2006, 07:52:48 PM by Boog »

Europrick

« Reply #22 on: Mar. 10, 2006, 08:42:43 AM »
I have Ys IV: Dawn of Ys with the english patch that is on a CD-R disc and my region free Super CD-rom II attachment that is hooked up to my Core Grafx/PC Engine and I played and almost beat it but it stopped working because the CD-R disc wasn't completely copied. :(

My Super CD-rom II attachment plays copied TG-16, PCE and Duo games. 8)

Your console isn't region-free. The PCE/TG CD no region protection in the first place.

Most PCE/TG CD consoles will play CD-R discs, but it kind of depends on the laser. It is possible to modify a laser unit that won't read CD-R discs so that it will.

Offline turbofan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar. 10, 2006, 09:59:38 AM »

Alright than,how do you about modifyin the laser unit?

Europrick

« Reply #24 on: Mar. 10, 2006, 11:21:12 AM »

Alright than,how do you about modifyin the laser unit?

Fairly complicated. I'm not going to explain that in an Ys IV thread. ;)

Offline Gamemusicfreak

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Game Music Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Game Music Freak
« Reply #25 on: Mar. 12, 2006, 08:21:11 AM »
Played and finished all three Ys IVs.  The Dawn of Ys will always be my favorite. 
Top favorite game series:  Ys, Legend of Xanadu, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy, Chrono Series.

Top 3 Favorite Game Music Composers:  Yuzo Koshiro,
Motoi Sakuraba, Nobuo Uematsu

Offline Red Hairdo

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Red-haired swordsmen...What makes them so special?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar. 14, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »
 Since I didn't finish Dawn of Ys YET and since I never got my hands into Mask of the Sun for PS2, I won't vote know.

But I wanted to say: It seems there is another version of Ys IV (still Mask of the Sun) for a game console knew as 'Mobile'... from what I heard, Mobile is a cel. phone that has games for it. You can check it out on GameFAQs ===>http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/mobile/data/930128.html

Europrick

« Reply #27 on: Mar. 14, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
Since I didn't finish Dawn of Ys YET and since I never got my hands into Mask of the Sun for PS2, I won't vote know.

But I wanted to say: It seems there is another version of Ys IV (still Mask of the Sun) for a game console knew as 'Mobile'... from what I heard, Mobile is a cel. phone that has games for it. You can check it out on GameFAQs ===>http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/mobile/data/930128.html

Hehehe. It's not known as "mobile." Mobile is the platform. As in -- the game's on a mobile phone.

It will not be in this poll because nobody here will ever be able to play it. You can see some screenshots of it here.

Ys VI, Ys ETERNAL and YsF has been released for mobile phones as well. Along with millions of other Ys mobile releases.

Offline Red Hairdo

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Red-haired swordsmen...What makes them so special?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar. 14, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
Hehehe. It's not known as "mobile." Mobile is the platform. As in -- the game's on a mobile phone.

It will not be in this poll because nobody here will ever be able to play it. You can see some screenshots of it here.

Ys VI, Ys ETERNAL and YsF has been released for mobile phones as well. Along with millions of other Ys mobile releases.

Heheh, I guess you are right. Afterall the game doesn't look "great", so I think no one would vote for this Ys IV. (Also thanks for giving me that link)

Offline Haven

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Who knows? The Shadow knows!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar. 15, 2006, 09:26:29 AM »
Good lord why even make 3D graphics with that thing!!!?