Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Should I get Ys VI for PC?  (Read 7973 times)

Offline MonCapitan

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Cute Widdle Moogle
    • View Profile
Should I get Ys VI for PC?
« on: Apr. 29, 2006, 08:30:59 PM »
Okay, here is the thing.  I already bought and beat the Playstation 2 version of the game (the version released in the states).  I am wondering if it would be worth it to get the PC version as well.  The reason I am considering it is because a patch is being worked on and I want to check out the differences.  The second reason is that I already beat the game so I would know what is going on so knowledge of Japanese should not be an issue.  The final reason I want to get it is to see how much the graphics differ between the two versions.  I have also become a big Ys buff, so I am seriously considering getting more of the games.
« Last Edit: Apr. 30, 2006, 09:05:09 AM by MonCapitan »

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
Re: Should I get Ys IV for PC?
« Reply #1 on: Apr. 30, 2006, 06:54:55 AM »
Unless you're collecting Ys games; no. It is not worth it. Same game, but is using poorly animated sprites instead of the fluid 3D models.
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: ! Sir, the door was open.

Offline Gillian Seed

• Snatcher Killer
  • Eager Initiate
  • Silly Vip
    • View Profile
    • Gillian Seed's Site
Re: Should I get Ys VI for PC?
« Reply #2 on: May. 24, 2006, 07:48:04 AM »
You should sell your PS2 version and get the PC one, with its cute sprites instead of the ugly 3d models.  ;D
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ... "

Offline Game_Hunter

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May. 29, 2006, 07:14:54 AM »
You should sell your PS2 version and get the PC one, with its cute sprites instead of the ugly 3d models.  ;D

Haha, too right Gillian!!  The PS2 characters SUCK!!!!

Offline Guile

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun. 10, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »
Ps2 version better Imo, the 3d models are better(plus the equipment changes adols apearance, they should have done that on ys 1 and 2 remake =/)  and look more realistic and is english, I understand theres a translation patch for the pc but it only translates item, character and place names, oddly enough to the right of the first save spehere the character has a english line javascript:void(0);
Shocked IIRC the patch was finished but dumped or something

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #5 on: Jun. 10, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »
The patch is still in the works. A 100% English patch will be released at some point.
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Offline Haven

• Dennis Pulido
  • Hapless Fledgling
  • Who knows? The Shadow knows!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun. 12, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »

If you haven't played Oath of Felghana, then grab Ark of Napishtim FIRST for the love of the goddesses !!!

Offline Guile

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun. 16, 2006, 03:02:08 PM »
yeah, ark won't be as special if you played oath, you'll feel like you where severely downgraded  ;)

Offline MonCapitan

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Cute Widdle Moogle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep. 10, 2006, 10:37:46 AM »
I already played the console version.  The reason I am interested in the PC version is because I want to see the differences between the translation patch and Konami's translation.  I also want it for collection's sake.

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #9 on: Sep. 10, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »
If you like collecting Ys games, then yes! Get it! The box is huge and very pretty. Definitely a must-have for every Ys collector.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #10 on: Sep. 11, 2006, 02:38:18 AM »
Know that I did use Konami's script from the PS2 version to help correct context and in some cases, the whole sentence, but it was originally entirely done by Psycho DeuceBag. You will find differences as well as similarities, so... Now I won't go too far, cause I think while Konami's translation is accurate, it is rather dry. The other thing, don't expect the patch anytime soon. Some time next year is feasible when I'll get back around to it, but now I'm messing with ED6 to extract the script, and I gotta get the ball rolling with Felghana after that. I'm trying to squeeze all that in, all the while continuing work on a major remodeling project, so I shouldn't even be on the PC right now.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Konami essentially kept the script 1:1. I can match almost any screenshot from the PS2 version with text I extracted from the PC version. The PS2 version has additional script for Crevia, menus, and other stuff, etc. but it starts with all the script from the PC version as its base. So, yeah, don't be buying it just yet if waiting for me is the main factor and you thought you'll get a considerably different script when a patch does get released.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec. 07, 2006, 12:48:15 AM »
Does that means that after Ys: Oath of Felgana is finished then the next project to be finished will be Legend of Heroes VI?

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #12 on: Dec. 07, 2006, 01:02:44 AM »
After YsF is finished up, I have some fixes for the Ys II Complete patcher to do and then it's on to Ys VI actually. ED6 is gonna take a long time and right now I dunno how omgfloofy is doing with the script. If I did get significant script translated back from her, I might think about making a demo patch though in the meantime.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec. 23, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »
Oh yeah, one more thing. Konami essentially kept the script 1:1. I can match almost any screenshot from the PS2 version with text I extracted from the PC version. The PS2 version has additional script for Crevia, menus, and other stuff, etc. but it starts with all the script from the PC version as its base. So, yeah, don't be buying it just yet if waiting for me is the main factor and you thought you'll get a considerably different script when a patch does get released.
Does that means that you will be able to insert Crevia and the Alma trials on the PC version?  :)

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
« Reply #14 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 09:46:46 AM »
Does that means that you will be able to insert Crevia and the Alma trials on the PC version?  :)
That'd be nice, but no.  Konami designed Crevia and Alma's Trials exclusively for the PS2 version, just as they designed the minigames and gallery exclusively for the PSP version.  It'd be nice to consolidate them all together for the complete Napishtim experience, but it's not going to happen unless it's done by Konami themselves (and I doubt they'd give away the only reasons to buy their versions).

What NightWolve meant was that he is working with two versions of the script:  Konami's dry-but-accurate translation, and Psycho DeuceBag's more colorful translation, and he's comparing the screens side-by-side to get the best of both worlds.

Anyway, I'd have to vote for Ys VI for PC instead of PS2.  I have both, but the PC version just looks better, in my opinion.  However, it would be a good idea to get the PS2 version as well if you want to bank on the slim possibility of Felghana coming out legitimately in the US.
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec. 29, 2006, 12:38:26 PM »
If the PS2 version had the option to switch between the 3D models and the 2D Sprites and
if Konami didn't remove the blood and pieces of monsters, then the PS2 version would be the best because of just 2 things. Those things are Crevia's eye candy and the Japanese voice dubs.

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec. 30, 2006, 07:10:58 AM »
Except that there's only English dubs in the European PS2 version of Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. ;)

Offline Grave

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan. 01, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »
Except that there's only English dubs in the European PS2 version of Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. ;)

The codes to use Japanese voices no longer exist in the European version? There were no menu-accessable voice changes in the US version, but there were ways to enable them. For what it's worth, I didn't really like either set of voices at all.  :P

I still don't understand why everyone hates on the models in the PS2 version. Adol's equipment changes were an awesome touch. Considering that I played the PSP version first, which uses the sprites, it took some getting used to, but I think the PS2 version looked fine.

edit: Ah... just saw the thread on the PAL cheats above. That sucks. Not that any of the voice acting is so good, though. I only used the Japanese ones because I don't understand what they're saying and it didn't make me cringe as much. Except when Terra spoke... so flat, so dull!
« Last Edit: Jan. 01, 2007, 07:54:29 PM by Grave »

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan. 01, 2007, 10:03:05 PM »
Except that the Galba armor didn't  looked as fearsome as it should looked. Hell even Web Bob on the Reboot series looked more fearsome. (In that time there was nothing better to see).