Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: I installed IE 7.0 today. Surprise! It looks a lot like Firefox now...  (Read 2421 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Anyone else try it yet?

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline rocket

• Always an Ys Fan!
  • Eager Initiate
  • Which way to the sword shop?
    • View Profile
    • Ys I & II COMPLETE Bonus Item and Event Website
i am waiting for the punch line....  LOL.  any new features also which versions of the os does it work with?
Someone once said being #1 just ain't realistic.

Ys I & II COMPLETE Bonus Item and Event Website

https://www.ysutopia.net/projects/yscomplete/bonus/

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
I've heard more bad than good about the latest IE. Is there anything IE 7.0 does better than Firefox 2.0?

Here's an IE related quote:
"My advice is simple: Boycott IE. It's a cancer on the Web that must be stopped. IE isn't secure and isn't standards-compliant, which makes it unworkable both for end users and Web content creators." - Paul Thurrott

He has a point.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Is there anything IE 7.0 does better than Firefox 2.0?

I dunno yet. The tabbing implementation is interesting is about all I can say for now. But in general, I've had a preference for IE over FireFox.

If you want maximum security, turn off ActiveX support. That's the main issue right there. As for standards-compliant, I remember when IE was ahead in that dept. but things change. I dunno how far behind it is right now, but I don't have very many problems with it. For most of my early IT career, it was the most reliable and I used features (like ActiveX) that were only available on IE.

Anyway, I definitely don't agree with issuing a final declaration that it is "unworkable" and that that should be the end of it. If you wanna talk unworkable, that prize goes to the old Netscape 4.0. That was a piece of shit that I was forced to deal with because there were some customers using it. HTML that worked everywhere else always had a problem with Netscape 4.0. But that was a long time ago, I realize.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Platypus

• aka Haohmaru
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Sure, I installed ie7 last week. Haven't found it much exciting though, some of the new features (tabs for example) was implemented in firefox a long time ago. But sure, it's about time ie got updated, and I figure it's a bit more standard compliant now. But I still prefer ff2 for my day-to-day surfing.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
I'm still on Windoze 2000 professional :|

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
  • "Swing the Glove to Exit" -Jackie Chan POWERBOXING
    • View Profile
    • TurboPlay Magazine Archives
My wife installed IE7 on her machine and I have used it a little bit. IE is certainly more bearable with tabs, but I am surprised by the default settings (i.e. the minimal number of visible navigation / menu items). I say "surprised" because I don't know if the average computer user (who is already familiar with IE's old layout) will like the UI changes (i.e. is the new UI intuitive? It's hard for me to be objective, but I don't think it would be for the average user). Personally, I don't mind the new aesthetics. I like that the default UI is cleaner.

I still haven't used IE7 long enough for a verdict. IE7 will never be my primary (or tertiary!) browser, but I still want to see how it stacks up against the others.

I have already tested some web designs in IE7 and I can tell you that it is still not compliant to some basic CSS standards. At least I can use conditional comments to try to fix things, but honestly, it's really annoying to have to do this in the first place (I have conditions for IE5-only, IE6-only and now there are some IE7-only things to add!).

I really liked IE when I switched over from Netscape (since Netscape went to crap). Outside of that, IE5 for mac osx was probably the most inspired browser I've experienced from MS  in recent memory.  Sure, you can laugh at it now, but at the time it seemed really sweet. IE7 seems more like "finally it's out; it is long overdue" as opposed to "yay! IE7 is a revolution!"

Disclaimer: I am no fan of IE. I like FF, Camino / Safari, Opera.
  |    |