Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Missing Texture?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Missing Texture?
« on: Jan. 08, 2007, 09:41:43 PM »
A texture seems to be missing after applying the patch, I'm certain is was there before the patch. It's the floor texture for the base where you get the dash ability item. Screenshot is attached.

Has this happened to anyone else? Doesn't seem like something the translation patch would break ...

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Texture?
« Reply #1 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 11:38:48 PM »
ouch, you must be having bad luck, all you've been getting is bugs...
which i could help but im as knowledgeable as an ant on how YSF works... sorry
Blaze, the man of simple words

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 09:17:19 AM »
Well, I also didn't have Falcom's patch installed until the translation installer did it for me, and that would be a more likely cause. If Nightwolve's patch doesn't touch textures at all, then I would bet it was probably Falcom's patch that messed up.

I'm more than half tempted to try this on the desktop here to see if it has any of these issues. Would be pretty strange if it was the laptop, since nothing else I've ran on this (which is a LOT) has had any weird troubles.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #3 on: Jan. 09, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »
I don't do anything with rendered graphics or otherwise (just flat images) and that platform's appearance is just as how I always remember it. But yeah, the YsF patch will be tied to the latest 1203VE Falcom patch, so that must've changed it, which is why several of you have reported this platform and a supposed texture being missing.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan. 12, 2007, 05:30:38 AM »
Heh, snow in a lava zone. Now I have seen everything (except a man eating his own head).

Is the texture actually missing there, or has the platform always been like that? I'm too lazy to check it out myself.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #5 on: Jan. 12, 2007, 05:40:25 AM »
It's always been like that every time I've seen it. Could someone take a shot with the texture and post it?

Offline Gillian Seed

• Snatcher Killer
  • Eager Initiate
  • Silly Vip
    • View Profile
    • Gillian Seed's Site
« Reply #6 on: Jan. 12, 2007, 08:49:03 AM »
Not 100% sure but I think I've already seen this before. Don't remember what I did though.
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ... "

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan. 12, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah... OK, I'll play around with the Setup utility and see if I can get a different result.

EDIT: OK, I discovered the cause. If I start the game with AppLocale, the texture shows up. If not, it's missing. My patch enables you to run the game without AppLocale or being in Japanese mode, so that's why you guys noticed the problem. However, you can still run the EXE with AppLocale even if it's patched, and the problem goes away.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up. I guess I'll see if it's possible to do something about it.

EDITx2: Cool! It's fixed! Excellent work guys in continuing to pester me on this. I had to intercept the "GetACP" Windows API and also return the code-page identifier for Japanese, 932. That's why it would work if you're in Japanese mode or if you launched the game with AppLocale.

Normally, you only need to make the 'GetSystemDefaultLangID' API return 932. If not, the game exits as soon as you start. By intercepting 'GetSystemDefaultLangID' and ALWAYS returning 932, that allows the game to run without having to boot to Japanese mode or use AppLocale. You're essentially fooling the game into thinking it's a Japanese Windows installation that it's being run on. But yeah, that's the technique on how to eliminate the Japanese mode requirement.

Suffice to say, I thought 'GetSystemDefaultLangID' was the only API I needed to take care of but apparently not. This was easily something that could've been overlooked. Very odd. Why this should've had anything to do with loading a texture I'll never know.

Offline Gwyrgyn Blood

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan. 12, 2007, 03:59:14 PM »
More specifically... why this would have anything to do with loading just one specific texture.  ???

Cool that you figured it out though.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #9 on: Jan. 13, 2007, 01:29:19 AM »
Admittedly, I was somewhat irritated by this and was tired of hearing about it. I think at least 3 people brought it to my attention. I received two emails with an attached image and then saw this thread. I had dismissed it as a problem with the two emails and was about to do the same here.

I didn't get it till now cause that's how I always remembered that platform, so I wondered what the hell is it with everyone... But of course, I had been playing the game with my hacked executable while others were still using AppLocale and so forth. It didn't really dawn on me the floor was wrong. I thought it was just like that to grab your attention to the treasure box and what not. When I saw Gillian's image, and looked back at the other image, I was like, "Doh... Alright, alright, something is going on here... But how the hell could it have anything to do with my hack???"

Anyway, I could've avoided this by doing what I used to do in the past. I would always intercept any APIs related to language support that a S-JIS Japanese game I was hacking was using. If it linked to 'GetSystemDefaultLangID', I would intercept it to return 0x0411. If it linked to 'GetACP', and/or another one such as 'GetOEMCP', you would have to return 932. Of course, I have a natural inclination where I wanna know exactly what I need, the bare minimum to reduce my code size and make it all neat, etc... This gets you into trouble sometimes. So at some point, I stopped just blindly intercepting all of these functions and would instead just figure out which one got the game working after being intercepted. It would vary, but typically, somewhere you have Falcom game code that does the following:

Code: [Select]
if ( GetSystemDefaultLangID() != 0x0411 )
    ExitProcess(0);

The process of hooking is taking 'GetSystemDefaultLangID' which is an address in memory to where the Kernel version of the function is mapped and overwriting that address with an address that points to your own copy of the function. Thus, your hacked function gets called, instead of the real function. My function will always return 0x0411 no matter what which, as I explained, eliminates the need for AppLocale and Japanese mode switching. You can see from the code above as to why. That's from Ys VI & Felghana. They simply call ExitProcess early at startup if the wrong language identifier is returned.

Anyway, this has been instructive. As I said, I sorta disliked just blindly hooking all these language releated functions which is what happened to have led to this, but I guess I'll have to do that in the future no matter what to avoid something completely unexpected like this from happening again.

Offline Dankrigannon

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan. 13, 2007, 12:14:26 PM »
I personally think it looks good without the texture there.  I dont know why, but I thought that was how I have always seen it. 
To Make the End of Battle

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #11 on: Jan. 14, 2007, 07:22:52 AM »
Yeah, cause you've been playing with an early patch. No matter, it's been taken care of.