Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Anybody with the patch get the game running on 98 or ME by chance?  (Read 3982 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
At first I thought it might be a lost cause, but now I'm thinking it's the 98/ME drivers for my card that prevent the game from working. Has anyone gotten it the game to work on 98/ME and/or could you test it out if you have another machine or partition?

EDIT #1: Well, it is looking like it can be possible for it to run on 98/ME. I can't get no picture as of yet, but the game did load to the title screen. Sound effects can be heard. It just does not like my 98 video card drivers I guess. I think was premature in removing 98/ME from this forum's name. I'll wait till someone confirms they can get it to work fine first.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Atomechanical

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody with the patch get the game running on 98 or ME by chance?
« Reply #1 on: Jan. 18, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »
Firstly, thank you for all your hard work on the Ys games.

Secondly, I'm just confirming that with the patch the game is playable under 98, although I've only got as far as the first save point so far.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #2 on: Jan. 18, 2007, 07:22:47 PM »
Great, thanks for replying to this. I could've sworn I could get it to play on my 98 partition, but ever since I bought a Radeon 9550 card and upgraded from Nvidia, I can't get it to load. But anyhow, I was about to remove [Windows 98/ME] from the title of this forum thinking that it only works on 2K/XP because it just might actually need Japanese language files to be present, which would only be the case with 2K/XP, OR, having to have a Japanese version of 98/ME, etc.

Anyway, that's good news.

Offline Agent_K64

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Hax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan. 22, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
About the graphics card upgrade: I've heard of people having compatibility problems when switching graphics cards from nVidia to ATi, and vice versa. It involves the drivers from one manufacturer not being fully removed, causing a conflict with the newer drivers. I believe there's some utility that will fully get rid of what's left of the partially removed drivers, but I forgot what it was called...
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Offline 2X4

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 07:28:25 AM »
I know this might be the wrong thread, but i dont think my question is worthy of a whole new thread.  I know there's been some craziness around here involving butt pirates who download the game getting antsy in their pantsy about the patch.  I am no pirate (won't say I've never downloaded ANYTHING illegally).   I bought the fancy version of Oath, in fact, NightWolve you may remember helping me install it as I had serious issues with my video card driver.  But I do have a question about the patch and I hope you don't get the wrong idea.  I do applaud the idea of the "special surprise" you included with your patch, but will this mean I wont be able to patch the game and make a new disk (so I can just install it in english in the future)?  If you have doubts I can post a pic of my game so you know it's legit.  Thanks.  Oh and I will be donating as soon as I get my pathetic excuse for a tax refund! 

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #5 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 08:43:11 AM »
I do applaud the idea of the "special surprise" you included with your patch, but will this mean I wont be able to patch the game and make a new disk (so I can just install it in english in the future)?

Pre-patching in other words. Nah, it won't work. That's exactly one of the things I've eliminated because that lends itself to what torrent creators have been doing by patching the image and sharing it as is, where the end user never has to run nor ever see my patch. But I want my patch run everytime, every install which will be enforced this time around as well as fuck a pirate over in the process. The latter is more of a side effect.

You can keep your disc, you can keep the patch, but I don't want the two permanently merged. I address that specifically in my License, but the pirates never listened nor cared, thus the need for enforcement.

I am no pirate (won't say I've never downloaded ANYTHING illegally).

Well, you know the background that I came from, so... But here with this, after some discussion, for such a new game like Felghana, I have to be more careful in not undercutting a possible defense were I to come under their radar. I could not attempt to appease Falcom by telling them essentially that all those recent sales of Felghana in English speaking countries were a direct result of my patch existing, hence it has been helpful to you, etc. If the only thing that the patch does is simply increase mass pirating of a game that's still on the market like this, and add to that, it doesn't even try to deter it or goes in the opposite direction with a NODVD hack, that argument of "I've helped your sales" would be undercut, well, patently false by leaving something like a NODVD hack in place.

It's in my own interest and in the interest as a gamer to see Falcom rewarded for such a fine game. And with the two bottom feeding butt pirates throwing a hissy, now you get an idea of why "Plight" is in my tentative title. It's really not anything new. With ParalelUni running off to another forum like he did to agitate there, I've had similar incidents in the past, so while it doesn't quite shock me, it was still somewhat unexpected. I was really starting to wonder if he was actually Vision-Z having snuck back on here cause that whole drama is his playbook to the tee. Some of what he said reminds me of Vision-Z too, at least in terms of style and behavior (trying to turn my friends against me and what not), but I'm sure it's just coincidence.

Offline OmegaRanma

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 06:34:53 PM »
Not to derail this topic of yours, but while this is on this particular subject.

I hope I did not raise any ire or negative feedback from the topic I made that you locked.

I was simply asking if the patch that those donated would have been something different then the public released version.

I did not wish for this to become a complicated situation on your behalf...and I apologize for any inconvenience or direct conflict it caused. Since I some of your patches in the past made aesthetic changes such as the Replacement of all instances of "Eternal" in the Ys I and II patch to say "Complete"

That is what I was just trying to figure out, if there was any font preference or anything aesthetically different to be done with the public patch release.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 06:44:36 PM »
Oh, it's not your fault. Don't worry about it. It's not the first time I've had to deal with such individuals and it won't be the last.

Offline Agent_K64

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Hax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan. 29, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
Wow, I've read that other thread, and find it quite amazing to what lengths some people will go to try have revenge. (Not really sure if it was revenge they were going for, or perhaps trying to change your decision? lol?)

Nonetheless, when by the time I got to
"I hope he gets what he deserves..." - ParalelUni
, the song My Chemical Romance - Teenagers started playing in the background. I don't know, it just somehow really fits, and I found that hilarious. xD

(Someone linked me to http://antiflag.imeem.com/playlist/mSDVA1-d/ )
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.