Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Perfect timing of the Fan Translator  (Read 3445 times)

Offline /dev/null

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Perfect timing of the Fan Translator
« on: Jan. 16, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »
I stumbled upon your fan translations quite by chance, Nightwolve, about 2 months ago.. having played the original Ys for TG16 back in the day, I decided to order the "perfect collection" and apply your translation a week or so after, when the games got here.  I just finished Ys II Complete this morning, and I must say the work you did with them is, at the least, up to par with any game company's 'in-house' translation I've seen on these shores.  I ordered Felghana after I beat Ys I, knowing I would want to see what the next chapter had in store (having never played any Ys game past II)  I've had my copy of Felghana for about a week now, knowing the release of the translation was not far off, and after beating Ys II today felt ansi to see if any updates were here as to the progress, only to see the countdown on the top of the page.  It is amazing timing that right as I beat Ys II you put up that teaser, and I cant wait to see the work you've done with Felghana.   The screen shots I've seen look beautiful and I anticipate installing the game and applying the translation patch whenever you decide it's ready for the masses.  I was wondering what the minimum to donate is, not to come across as cheap, but I have shelled out alot of money already for these 3 games, not to mention Christmas draining the rest of my funds for the time being. 

*I just wanted to express my appreciation for what you brought to the community with these awesome translations.  Kudos to You, Psycho DeuceBag, and everyone else responsible for making this happen.*

I had a question about Ys II though, there was one odd occurance that came about while I was playing it these last few days....  I was near the end of the game yesterday (at the Godesses' Shrine/Temple) and I warped back to Rance Village, and I instantly ran upwards and out of the town without thinking about it, and an icon flashed over Adol's head and some text saying "The swarm of mosquitos did not follow you" popped up.  I don't remember anything about mosquitos in the older (or newer) version.  Did I miss something along the way?  Or is there some weird side quest that deals with a swarm of mosquitos?

Anyway, keep up the good work, both patches worked flawlessly for me, and the sound packs for Ys I & II Complete were awesome too, I'm glad I took the time to download those.

Felghana is almost ready!! woo-hoo!!!  :D

/d/n
« Last Edit: Jan. 16, 2007, 05:59:17 PM by /dev/null »
baka.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: Perfect timing of the Fan Translator
« Reply #1 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 06:18:20 PM »
The average amount has hovered around $10-$20, with the more dedicated and generous fans willing to donate even more at $25 and on rare occasion as high as $50. But if you wanna know the bare minimum that I've tolerated, it's been at the $5-$10 range. As long as you don't send me $1 like the one guy did and indicate you donated in the past only for it to be proven that's not the case, I won't take issue with it.

As for that Ys II Complete odd string, "The swarm of mosquitos did not follow you", I'll have to look into it.

EDIT: OK, that string is available in the script after all. I really couldn't remember anything like that. It's exactly this:

The swarm of mosquitoes<\n>
didn't follow!<\0>

Something we let slip I guess which probably was mostly due to lack of context on the translator's part. I dunno if Shimarisu first did that or Psycho DeuceBag. I have my suspicion.

Now question, is that the full context of what you did? You just warped to Rance, ran upwards to the village's exit, then simply received a popup with such a message?? I need to be able to reproduce this which will help better determine what it should actually translate to. I would geuss it's probably some kind of dumb Japanese pun/joke that comes out utterly nonsensical in English. I would also guess this was a remnant of Shimarisu's shoddy literal translation work, cause it's not something I would normally expect Psycho DeuceBag to let slip.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline /dev/null

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 06:38:01 PM »
Yes, it happened right after I loaded the game at the Godesses' Palace, I accidentally warped to Rance instead of Ramia and went straight out of the town, and as soon as I entered the field I got that message.  I still have the save game if you want me to send you my <save> folder from Ys II, and I tried it a couple times to see if I was missing something and it happened each time I did it.  This is with your newest version patch (1.02) for Ys II.

/d/n
« Last Edit: Jan. 16, 2007, 06:39:16 PM by /dev/null »
baka.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #3 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
Yes, please attach the save file.

Offline /dev/null

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 06:46:37 PM »
OK here it is.  It's Ys2_07 (the one saved at Godesses' Palace)
baka.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #5 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »
Thanks, I can reproduce it now. It seems to me this would have to change to something like, "What's the rush?" or "Why are you in such a hurry?", etc. I can run it by Psycho DeuceBag now at least.

Too bad you didn't show up before v1.02 was released so an edit for this string could've been included. It'd be irritating to update to v1.03 just to include a fix for this, so a) I'll either have to sit on it till perhaps more errors/problems possibly show up, assuming if they're reported which would make an update more justifyable, b) I could overwrite the v1.02 patch to include this now and just not really let anyone know (the easy way, no announcements, no updates to the ReadMe files, etc), or c) wait a couple of years for when I might work on the patch again to add a feature to install the game off of an original disc, etc. which would justify a v1.03 release...

At the moment, it's such a small issue, I'm thinking a quick overwrite of the v1.02 patch would be the easiest. I don't want 700 people redownloading the same patch just for this, and an overwrite with no announcement would prevent that, while taking care of the issue for new users (while it's an issue they'll likely never run into, I do like tying up all loose ends with my patches where possible).

EDIT: Err, crap. Scratch that. I just noticed after doing this again that the popup icon has a mosquito in it that's moved back'n'forth a bit... Hah... This colloquial joke/expression will somehow still have to involve mosquitos... I don't think there is an American equivalent...

Offline /dev/null

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »
shucks, I thought I had stumbled upon some bastard side quest of sorts, hehehe...

Did you find out what triggers it?  Your idea that it may be "why in such a rush" sounds like it might be the case, I did not go back to Rance village to talk to anyone after rescuing their fam, but was thinking about taking a return trip to talk to the villagers and let them know that I had saved their peeps(yeah I'm a dork).

Another thing, whenever I go to Psycho DeuceBag's Ys site, I get nothing but  a white screen, is this a firefox problem or is something broken there?  I accessed a couple of his pages via google when I was looking for info on the mosquito business, but the main page seems broken.

Cheers.
baka.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
I dunno what triggers it. Could be how you warped back at the wrong time, combined with being right at the point in the game that you are, and so they threw the joke in there to sort of let you know you're wasting time maybe. Something like that. I never triggered it and if anybody else did, they certainly didn't tell me about it.

As for Psycho DeuceBag's site, he can't fix it ATM. Trouble with the server not updating his changes perhaps due to a shoddy load balancing scheme of multiple servers and not propagating changes.

EDIT: I'm adding a shot of the string in question for reference.
Original Japanese was: "蚊柱はついて来ていない!"

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan. 16, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »
Actually, you can now access my website (as of tonight) at its new home: http://legacyofys.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

As for the string, I'll check into it.
Jeff "Call me DeuceBag!" Nussbaum - The greatest criminal in fan translation history! A lying, conniving, thieving, scheming, backstabbing monster of epic proportions!