Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: xbox 360 controller modifications.  (Read 6980 times)

Offline Frog Man

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
xbox 360 controller modifications.
« on: Nov. 08, 2007, 02:25:45 PM »
I was playing some of my friends Ys Oath in Felghana with a wireless xbox 360 controller and found the button configuration a bit awkward.

It's hard to charge up a magic, keep it charged while you attack and jump at the same time. My thumbs aren't fat enough.

I've been thinking of how to solve this minor problem. Either start using the keyboard(which I don't want too:p ) Or find a way to change the button layout for the game.

The problem is I can't find a way to do that. In the in game menu under options it doesn't give any choices like that and besides that I'm not sure where to go.

I was thinking that maybe there was a way to change the buttons setup on the 360 controller by going through the software it came with but to no avail.

This is the setup I would like.

That way I can do everything at the same time.

If there is a way to fix this please tell. Thanks for the help. I'm searching for couch money to make a donation sufficient enough for the patch. I want it in English. :p But until then I will have to use my imagination and hope that the straight forwardness in the game so far continues.

Thanks.

Loves for everyone.

Offline tlaloc.quetzalcoatl

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Recovering R.I.G.G.-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: xbox 360 controller modifications.
« Reply #1 on: Nov. 09, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
Try a program called Xpadder http://www.xpadder.com/

You could map what WOULD be valid action buttons on the keyboard onto the 360 controlller you use.

It's worked great for me!

Just a suggestion.

T-

Offline bida3

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov. 10, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »
You can change the controls from the setup file. you can change keyboard, mouse, or controller controls. i dont know how hard it would be to change the buttons with the japanese language.

Offline Frog Man

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov. 11, 2007, 10:21:04 AM »
Awesome. Xpadder works perfectly. Only prob now is that I have all my buttons changed to what I want it seems to just have overlayed the old buttons. Meaning when I press "a" most the time it will attack(old setup) and the other times it will jump(new setup). So somewhere the game still remembers what the old button setup is and is still using it while at the same time using the new button setup.

Figured it out. I just turn the game on. Minimize it. Then turn on my 360 controller and then Xpadder and the game won't recognize the controller after it's up and running. Now it thinks my controller is the keyboard but isn't forcing it's old button setup on it.

Thanks for the help guys.
« Last Edit: Nov. 11, 2007, 12:51:48 PM by Frog Man »

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr. 08, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
Although this topic is old and long covered, for anyone who wants to play with a controller and does not own a 360 or want to pay the 40-50 for a 360 controller, you can use a PS1/PS2 controller with a USB adaptor like the 4-player Super Joy Box 5 Pro.

I've got one, it's great! the controller buttons can be remapped similar to how PSXPad could be be back in the day and there's no hacking of anything. Just install the driver first, plug up to 4 controllers into the adaptor and stick it in an available USB port. Then remap the buttons however you like. Rumble even works.

Here's a short video review, from the place I bought mine from:I think it only set me back 15bux and used PS2 controllers are only 15bux at Gamestop, so it's also an affordable way to enjoy 4-player games like TMNT on MAME too. ;)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #5 on: Apr. 08, 2009, 11:15:50 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty good I guess. I could use something like that in theory, at some point. All my real USB PC Gamepads have broken, but my PS2 controllers are a helluva lot older, yet still good.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr. 09, 2009, 12:36:53 PM »
There's really nothing 'special' about it, as it's just a plug n play device. You don't even need to install the driver, according to what I read before I bought it. However, you don't have rumble support without the driver and I don't think you you can remap the button layout. Not sure about that, as I just installed the latest driver before using it.

The only thing that sucks is that it does not have advanced features built-in, like keyboard mapping. And when adding controllers you have to unplug the USB cord first or it won't recognize the additional controllers.

The dpad can be mapped as directional, pov hat or buttons. Square and X detect pressure, depending on how you set the controller making it work 'ok' with racing games. Also has a DDR mat mode, for people who are into that. AND you can switch between digital layout or analog layout by using the actual analog button.

Well, that's the full rundown on it. In case you were interested. Personally I can't stand most PC Gamepads. Even the knockoff PlayStation inspired ones usually just don't do it for me. Mainly thanks to their shoddy dpad designs which make the 360s dpad seem flawless. :\