Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Ys I & II Chronicles for PC  (Read 13944 times)

Offline X-Calibar

• Experienced Guildsman
  • Gustave
    • View Profile
Ys I & II Chronicles for PC
« on: Mar. 09, 2010, 01:46:19 PM »
I noticed the Falcom Weekly Special had Ys I & II Chronicles for PC up for sale!  Now, I hadn't been keeping up with the news so I thought excellent, an updated Ys I & II maybe some new features?

Well...
After reading up on it :
Pretty big disappointment.

Basically it's the PSP game ported to PC.  Eliminated the classic PC hud, in favor of a small hud.  It has a blurry filter you can run to "improve the graphics" but I believe PC quality was actually higher res? [just 640x480?]

Only improvements from original PC would be the ability to switch artwork mode [PSP new art or PC]. If you liked the new art...
Also the new soundtrack, although fans have made a replacer for that already.
I heard there is voice acting?  Is this true?

That would be the biggest selling point for me at the moment, if the acting was very good.
And lastly I think maybe the credits and boss rush have been altered slightly. 
Oh, this version runs in Windows 7... although fans have already got Complete working in 7.
« Last Edit: Mar. 12, 2010, 03:10:22 PM by NightWolve »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: Ys I & II Chronicles for PC
« Reply #1 on: Mar. 12, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »
I was wondering what was going on with that, like, wasn't it just a PSP game, what's the deal with the PC information, etc. ?? Whatever the case, I don't much find it interesting. As for the inclusion of possible voice acting, that would be unusual, but not an impossibility. Nothing is stated that could be interpreted as voice acting in the link below:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.falcom.com%2Fys12_psp%2Ffeatures.html

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline X-Calibar

• Experienced Guildsman
  • Gustave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar. 13, 2010, 12:37:23 PM »
ouch... I was wrong about the voice acting even [looks like I got it mixed up with info for Legend of Heroes PSP.]
Guess I don't need to pick it up then lol.

Back to waiting on Ys 7 for PC... [hopefully with a brand new engine?!]

Offline SkyeWelse

• Global Moderator
  • Eager Initiate
  • On a quest to find Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • XyZ - A Tribute to Xak, Ys, and Zelda
« Reply #3 on: May. 05, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
Well, limited improvements aside, I was wondering if it might be a feasible project in the future to have this version of Ys I & II be translated since this is technically the most complete package of Ys I & II to date, especially considering that it has all of the previous content/graphics and music with a few added bonus features this time around. I for one would love to have a patch for this at some point. I've already placed and order for this and Zwei II+ with Falcom's weekly sale, though I wonder if it will get processed in time since it was Golden Week in Japan when I placed the order originally...: 0

The PSP version of Chronicles has the best overall soundtrack of the music of Ys I & II in my opinion as well. It is really fantastic throughout!

-Thomas

Offline tsbaron

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct. 23, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »
Well, limited improvements aside, I was wondering if it might be a feasible project in the future to have this version of Ys I & II be translated since this is technically the most complete package of Ys I & II to date, especially considering that it has all of the previous content/graphics and music with a few added bonus features this time around. I for one would love to have a patch for this at some point. I've already placed and order for this and Zwei II+ with Falcom's weekly sale, though I wonder if it will get processed in time since it was Golden Week in Japan when I placed the order originally...: 0

The PSP version of Chronicles has the best overall soundtrack of the music of Ys I & II in my opinion as well. It is really fantastic throughout!

-Thomas

Part of me wants a translation project for this and part of me thinks it's a bad idea.

The part of me that wants it is the part of me that would purchase an import of the japanese pc game and use the translation patch.
THe part of me that doesn't want it knows that if a patch does come out, it would lead to greater piracy of a game that is readily available at a somewhat fair price. Not only that, but because people will be able to get an english version of ysI/II on their pc without spending money, they'll be less likely to get the version of ysI/II in english available domestically for PSP (assuming a pc owner who owns a psp).

Now, I'll admit, I pirated Ys I & II complete for PC, and used Nightwolve's patch, but I did that at a time when Ys I & II complete was not available at any price, and if it were the price was far too high for me to afford. Furthermore, I did come to donate to NightWolve's patching efforts (this was well after the Felghana leak, felghana being a game I never obtained or played and won't do so until xseed's release on PSP). Being an aspiring game developer (currently making an indie shooter) I've thought a lot about piracy, and there are certain conditions where it is ok to just download a game without paying for it. With the advent of services like Steam and GOG.com, those conditions are becoming fewer and fewer, and piracy is less and less something I want to do.

But on this note: Falcom could make a LOT of money if they distributed english versions of their games on Steam. Perhaps Nightwolve, his translators, and Falcom need to have a conversation. I would pay readily and happily for steam releases of Falcom games, knowing that not only am I supporting Falcom, but people who love and care about the Ys game series.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #5 on: Jan. 04, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
tsbaron, your reasoning is sound, but you're in the fringe minority, and when I say fringe, I mean like 1-2%... Ys fanholes love their pirating as well as their freeloading; that's not gonna change any time soon... The End.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!