Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: TurboDuo caps  (Read 1837 times)

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
TurboDuo caps
« on: May. 27, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »
So, looking around ebay today, I cringed as I kept seeing the word "recapped!" on a lot of listings. Then I came across this: http://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Duo#Leaking_Capacitors

That's a lot of damn capacitors! I can't even fathom this at the moment...

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: TurboDuo caps
« Reply #1 on: May. 27, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3249.0

Here's another view of it. Did you just buy a Turbo Duo ? There are plenty of modders at PCEngine-FX I can hook you up with if you want. You can get a nice YPbPr/Component output mod while you're at it as well.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
Re: TurboDuo caps
« Reply #2 on: May. 28, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
Thanks for that graphic, that does help visualize things a lot better.

But nah, I still own the same TurboDuo I've since the early R.I.G.G. days! I've barely touched it for years though after throwing away all the games I had burned to CD-Rs (didn't want to risk wearing out the laser). The only thing glitchy with I've ever noticed is the last time or two the audio wasn't quite as loud, or buzzed until I wiggled the A/V input cable a bit. And, in reading about symptoms of leaky caps I've read that "sound issues" are a common symptom. To which I groaned, thinking about the 20+ capacitors I'm about to replace on the monitor chassis board in my MVS-2 cabinet when my flyback replacement comes in the mail. "Oh god. NOT MORE CAPS!"

I've never even opened the console before, and I think I vaguely remember you telling me years back that it's kind of a pain. So yeah, at this point I'm debating if I should try to do a cap replacement this year, or just leave it boxed on the shelf for now.. which could make it worse in the future. I really haven't made up my mind what to do with it yet and was just curious what your thoughts were.