Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: no region patches?  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Haven

• Dennis Pulido
  • Hapless Fledgling
  • Who knows? The Shadow knows!!!
    • View Profile
no region patches?
« on: Mar. 21, 2006, 11:58:03 PM »
Yo Nightwolve^^

WASSUP? CATCHCUP? KETSUP?

Forgive me if this is an irritating question but:

Do you plan to release a no region patch for Oath of Felghana very soon?
I wanna play the game at school because everytime I get home I'm always too tired and end up spending my time with sleep which is overrated^^

Don't worry, I got the game legally and I could take pictures of myself with it if you want proof^^
Hopefully everybody else has it legally too^^

If not feel free to delete this thread
(just don't ban me please!!!)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: no region patches?
« Reply #1 on: Mar. 22, 2006, 06:27:11 AM »
There is no region protection to my knowledge.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Haven

• Dennis Pulido
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar. 22, 2006, 06:42:20 PM »
There is no region protection to my knowledge.

There is since the game wouldn't even work unless you tinker with the Regional Settings.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #3 on: Mar. 22, 2006, 11:32:46 PM »
Yeah, that's a problem with some Falcom games, but I would not call that "region protection" since that carries associations with what is done to DVDs and DVD hardware to limit sales to a specific market. But if that is what you're asking, yes, I always fix that whether done on purpose or not. However, I think that has more to do with Falcom trying to play it safe, since with Ys II Complete for example, if it's not in Japanese mode, you can't save or load a game. They don't forcibly exit the game if a Japanese code page is not detected, but the reason saving doesn't work is because of expectations/assumptions of being on a Japanese OS, so they didn't bother testing on a US system to have found the bug I'm referring to. So, in that case, that was a bug that is caused by being in English mode, not an intentional "region protection." I think later on, they just decided to exit the game if you're not on a Japanese OS so as to avoid any tech support issues that would come their way by not having to deal with people installing the game on other Windows versions.

I remember dealing with such things at my old job. We had an application built with the assumption that it would be run on a US version of Windows, and the company sold it to customers in Germany, only to find numerous bugs being caused by their different locale, and the differences that arise with how numbers are represented, the formatting, etc. So I got stuck having to install a German version of Windows on a test machine and to try and find what was causing the problem. Point is, you don't want to have to deal with that, so you can either warn the user, or just exit the application to avoid unexpected results for an Operating System that it's not made for nor tested on. It's not the same issue if we're talking about intent with what is done to DVDs.

Oh, and no, while you have a nice way of asking me to release something separate, I never had any intention to. When the patch is released, yes, it'll allow the game to run without AppLocale or booting to Japanese mode, but you'll get that benefit when the whole patch is ready with version 1.00.

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar. 23, 2006, 06:13:17 AM »
If I may make a suggestion NW, a link to Microsofts Applocal utility under 'downloads' would be nice, for those who never heard of it before. Among with a basic description, for DFUs. Just don't host it, because Microsoft now requires Windows Validation to download it. That should weed out a couple software pirates.  :P

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #5 on: Mar. 23, 2006, 12:35:53 PM »
Didn't you hack AppLocale, NightWolve? If I remember correctly, your hack was a bit easier to use than the official release.
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: ! Sir, the door was open.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #6 on: Mar. 23, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »
Yeah, I got rid of the endless stupid prompt Microsoft puts up everytime you launch with it. It's still here till I finish moving things over to the portal:

https://www.ysutopia.net/software/
https://www.ysutopia.net/software/AppLoc.zip

Install AppLocale normally, and then overwrite the exe with what's in the zip in the "%windir%\AppPatch" folder.

Offline Haven

• Dennis Pulido
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar. 23, 2006, 07:22:05 PM »
Understood

Thanks

Offline Slayne

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar. 31, 2006, 10:53:16 PM »
I always just leave my machine set for Japanese language settings :)

Doesn't take that much to get used too it, though installing new programs was sorta annoying at first with the new characters it used, heh.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr. 25, 2006, 12:07:33 PM »
hehe Yeah that's what I did when I used to play Phantasy Star Online and Y's 6 a lot on the PC.

Offline FireHawkX

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul. 02, 2006, 03:48:13 AM »
hi all! :)
I tried dling Applocale, installed it, then the "patch"
i run the app, select the exe of the game... but nothing happens...
i tried installing japanese region and keyboard but it still doesnt work...
config.exe seems to run in the background but never comes up with any windows..
any suggestion how i could fix this?
thanks if you do answer! :)
-=Fire Hawk X=-

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #11 on: Jul. 02, 2006, 10:11:18 AM »
Just boot the whole machine in Japanese mode. Goto Region and Language Options in your control panel, click the "Advanced" tab, press "J" and that should take the first dropdown combo box to the "Japanese" selection, if not, find and select Japanese with the mouse, then click OK. It'll ask you to reboot. After having rebooted, both EXEs should run.

Offline FireHawkX

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul. 03, 2006, 02:39:42 AM »
well i messed around with jap stuff the whole day and managed to make it work!! I had to download a patch from the official webpage ((ysf_1203.zip)) to make it work... It then worked with jap system and it Now even works when im in french with applocale!! :)

perhaps my computer hardware was too "new" for the game... I do have a X1900XTX from ati and there seemed to be a few problems with the new x1000 series and the game...

anyway!! just stopped by to say thanks for doing such a wonderfull job! i played YS1/2 for the first time a few weeks ago using your patch.. and they were awesome! :) Cant wait to understand this one too!! :)

laterZ

Offline Sanhime

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep. 19, 2006, 11:06:49 AM »
Speaking of region settings, I tried tinkering with the settings you guys are talking about.  However, the the Control Panel > Region and language options, I checked all the tabs, and I can't find Japanese anywhere.   :(

I am running Windows XP.

*edit*  Nevermind, I think I found it.  There was a check-box that says "Install Files for East Asian languages"    Hope this works.  ^^;
« Last Edit: Sep. 19, 2006, 11:11:27 AM by Sanhime »