Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: TurboRip v1.42: The PC Engine/TG-16 CD-ROM ISO/WAV/CUE Ripper [2019]!!  (Read 99294 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: TurboRip v1.00: The PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM ISO/WAV/CUE Ripper
« Reply #40 on: Jul. 01, 2006, 02:40:03 PM »
Yeah, from the tests I've done, the audio track layout is very finicky. It appears the PCE/game is playing the audio based on the exact sector address instead of track number, but this doesn't appear to be the case with the data tracks.

Right, the sector offsets of every audio track are hardcoded. The game code in most games does not dynamically fetch the LBA from the TOC for any particular audio track. But there are exceptions like the Ys IV disc, however. That's one example that I know of.

There are two TOCs of Ys IV btw; two different Ys IV discs were pressed at the factory. The only difference was some audio tracks had more nulls making them bigger, etc. Dunno what happened, why they did it, but it shows that the Ys IV game code stores the track number it wants to play, and with that it fetches the LBA from the TOC always. I guess it's a slightly longer operation, but doing it this way guarantees proper play as opposed to having hardcoded the LBA/sector offset with the game code. Obviously though, most developers took into account that it wouldn't be an issue since once they were finished with the disc and ready to release it, nothing in the TOC would be changing.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #41 on: Jul. 01, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »
Hey  NightWolf,  I just found your old rigg web page for ripping PCE/DUO rom, which I want to thank you.  I'm new to this, so can I only follow instructions of CDRWin step by step  and other
information provided by authoritative guide to rippimg.

Forget my old Authoritative Guide to Ripping. Try using TurboRip instead. With the disc image in ISO/WAV/CUE form, you have many more advantages than with CDRWIN's BIN/CUE, so it's better to just learn how to use TurboRip right now.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul. 01, 2006, 04:04:35 PM »
Sorry, I assumed he was trying to learn both. But yeah, definately just use TurboRip ;) As NW says, the CDRwin method is outdated.
« Last Edit: Jul. 01, 2006, 04:05:44 PM by JoeQuaker »

Offline Pingu

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul. 22, 2006, 06:55:58 PM »
Neat thing this program, used it and got working images from my PCE games. I have one question though about the R-W subcode. My burner apparently doesn't support it but I forced it to rip anyway. Ripping went witout a hitch and tocfixer says it's a correct rip and as mentioned it works flawlessy and sounds good when I play the tracks. It warns about not being a completly 1:1 rip and I wonder just what might difer.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #44 on: Jul. 22, 2006, 09:44:43 PM »
It's possible that detection of R-W support is failing and so you're OK. This is due to so many CD devices being made without there being THE ultimate final authoritative standard to follow. MMC is one such standard, but it came later in the game. All modern drives have come to follow it for the most part, but it's not always perfect.

Oh, and here are some of the upcoming features I'm currently working on in my leisurely:

+Multi-session support so as to correctly rip CD-EXTRA music audio discs.
+CD-TEXT support.
+Correct detection of Indexes (INDEX 00, 01, 02, etc.) which will increase compatibility with game discs from other systems (NeoGeo CD probably, if Squaresoft74 is correct). TurboRip is currently hardcoded with PREGAP 03:00 & PREGAP 02:00 for track type transitions which is based on the assumption of a PC-Engine/TG-16 disc. Of course, not all discs are gonna obey those transition rules, but it turns out you can correctly detect Indexes by reading the Q-subchannel information of a sector, to be technical. Anyway, this will make TurboRip more like CDRWIN with its subcode analysis feature. I can appreciate CloneCD a little more now with its separate ripping of all the subchannel data into a separate .sub file. It's a far better program for duplicating a disc.

I've grown quite fond of this little program of mine I have to say. When that happens, the work towards improving it is quite enjoyable. I'm in the mood where even when I'm working on other things, I keep thinking about how to advance it. Fun stuff, ya know? ;)

Offline Sanhime

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug. 05, 2006, 09:48:28 AM »
This may be a newbie problem, because I don't know.  I was going through my PCE CDs and playing them on ME.  I noticed in some of my games during the intermission sequences, the sound seems to be behind the animation, like when someone is talking you'll see there lips move and 2 seconds later you have the actual audio.

These are not original discs, and they are probably nonRIGG.  Is there a way to correct this?

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #46 on: Aug. 05, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
Yeah. If they were MP3 rebuilds, you can use TocFixer. If MagicEngine shows a game CD title at the bottom left when you select boot CD, that means the game has a valid TOC and will not have issues such as the cinemas being out of sync, of course, it's not perfect with an emulator, but if it's as bad as 2 seconds, than yeah, it's probably a MP3 rebuild (That's when someone expands an ISO/MP3/CUE image file set to ISO/WAV/CUE, burns it to CD-R, rips it back to BIN/CUE or something, then decides to share that...). Anyway, here's what to do:

1) Rip the CD-R with TurboRip to an ISO/WAV/CUE image file set.

2) Run TocFixer, browse to where you ripped the image file set, and select any one of the files, either ISO or WAV. Then click Repair.

Note: If TurboRip detects the game title after trying to rip it, that means you're wasting your time and the game is OK. If it can't identify the disc, and you know it's a pce/tg16 game, then it is bad and so proceed with the rip and use of TocFixer afterwards.

TocFixer link: https://www.ysutopia.net/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=4

Offline Sanhime

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug. 05, 2006, 11:57:06 AM »
Thank you very much! ^_^

One other quicky.   >.>

One of the games that is "flawed" is Star Parodia.  TurboRip made 25 tracks, but Toc Fixer says theres suppose to be 24 only.   >.>

One of the track size is waaaaaay off, but it sounds like its part of the game.  I'm not sure what to do.   m(_ _)m

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #48 on: Aug. 05, 2006, 12:09:23 PM »
Well, either get a new image or knock one track file off that doesn't belong. The last track should be a data track, same for track 2. The rest should be audio tracks. Not much else I can say. Though, another possibility is you've not correctly identified the game to pick. Make sure that 25 tracked game really is Star Parodia - Load the game again in the emulator. Actually, that's likely the problem. I'd say you're not correctly identifying what you have there, and so you're picking the wrong title in TocFixer's list. You should also check there that is no other wave or iso file in the same folder from something else that you did that's being counted, thus throwing TocFixer off.

Offline Sanhime

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Aug. 05, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
I loaded the game in my TG-16 machine, it still says Star Parodia.   o.o

Maybe someone will have the sound tracks posted somewhere on the web, or I'll have to hunt down an original somewhere.

Changing the subject for a bit, I noticed beefing up the cdrom cache size and cdda buffers did the trick in hopefully solving the cinema/audio delays.  Hopefully that will be a permament solution for any other games that are like that.  ^o^;

Offline aaronl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep. 30, 2006, 10:26:11 AM »
Anyone else have problems with the TGCD not being able to play CD-R's?  Is there a way to fix it?  I can play them fine in Magic Engine.  I'm not trying to pirate or anything, I just want to backup my TGCD's so I don't scratch them etc...  My TGCD starts to play CDR's but after awhile it freaks out...

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #51 on: Sep. 30, 2006, 10:57:56 AM »
Not much to say about that other than TGCD units can be picky about the media brand you're using. Try other CD-R manufacturers. I use cheap PNYs and they work fine. Try verbatim, whatever. Something other than what you're using now. You can also try lubricating the pole that the CD lens slides on with something like vaseline using a q-tip. That *might* be useful or random advice I just threw out there... Anyhow, that's about it unless you wanna send the unit off to one of those TGCD repair guys that are out there to make adjustments to the laser/lens that can improve its handling of CD-Rs in general.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Oct. 01, 2006, 10:43:07 AM »
I recommend Memorex CD-Rs. They work good in my TurboDuo.
« Last Edit: Oct. 01, 2006, 10:43:49 AM by JoeQuaker »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #53 on: Oct. 09, 2006, 05:18:58 PM »
Even though it'll be a while before I work on the new version, possibly next year, I wanted to make this known to current users. Please make sure you do not use TurboRip with any of the 7 Games Express discs nor any PC-FX discs!! I know for sure now that there are discs in those cases with tracks that have indexes over one and TurboRip does not account for them. Also, I would avoid using it for game discs with other systems. Just use it with regular PCE discs for now to be safe, until the new version is released which will detect q-subchannel data and therefore account for pregaps and indexes greater than one properly. Most music CDs are safe for now as well.

Well, that's the only news update I have for now. Last I worked on TurboRip, I completed the first feature I mentioned, that being multi-session support, so it does now rip some CD-EXTRA music audio discs correctly (that I've tested with). I was in the middle of CD-TEXT support and playing around with the Q-subchannel stuff when I quit and went back to my translation projects, though. So, that's that. I will get back to working on this eventually though, so you'll have that needed update one day!

Offline turbofan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Oct. 10, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
Yeah black memorex disks seem to work the best.I think you can get like thirty for ten bucks.I remember I had a heck of time tring to get Xak III to play correctly on my dou.
That was back when I was using cdr-win though.
« Last Edit: Oct. 10, 2006, 08:44:58 AM by turbofan »

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Nov. 03, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »
Yeah I still use an old version of Fireburner to burn stuff for the Duo... CDRwin didn't always act right for some reason.

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Nov. 06, 2006, 10:42:13 PM »
NightWolve...

While I was ripping my originals tonight, I noticed that a couple more discs still had read errors near the end, and that they weren't "filled with zeores"... what do you use for your threshold to determine whether it's a regular error near the end of disc, or a should-be-fatal error ?  Is it a percentage of the track size, or a number of sectors ?

Also, it improperly recognized my J.B. Harold Murder Club (American version) as the Japanese version (the Japanese version was properly recognized as the Japanese version though).

- Dave

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Nov. 08, 2006, 09:46:30 PM »
Here's another funny one for you...
It didn't recognize my Japanese original "Wonderboy III in Monster Lair" disc....
Not sure if this is a new TOC or a transposition error... or even something in TirboRip (probably the TOC database).

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #58 on: Nov. 10, 2006, 12:03:21 PM »
While I was ripping my originals tonight, I noticed that a couple more discs still had read errors near the end, and that they weren't "filled with zeores"... what do you use for your threshold to determine whether it's a regular error near the end of disc, or a should-be-fatal error ?  Is it a percentage of the track size, or a number of sectors ?

Well, there should be at least one sector, the last one, that is zeroed out if you got a read error (i.e. the last 2048 bytes of the track should be zero). If that is not the case, the drive actually read the sector, then raised an error.

As for the detection of this condition, I check if a) a read error was raised, b) it's a data track, and c) if there are 27+5 sectors left to read. I can't tell you how many sectors weren't read without changing the read size to 1 or something, and going one by one when it gets that close to the postgap/lead-out. But from my experience, it's usually about 1-3 sectors. The reason I have to do 27+5 is because of how I setup the reading process. If there are 28 sectors left to read, let's say, and the loop is at the point where it's going to read the next 27, I could get an error at the 27th. The loop will then continue for the last sector, the one left, and generate another error. In those cases, you'll see that "notice" message about zeroed out sectors printed twice.

So, what happens is, if there are < 27+5 sectors left, I null out the read buffer (27 sectors in size) before executing the read. The drive will read as many sectors as it can and write them to the buffer. If it fails to read the last one or two sectors, it will have nothing to write, and the buffer will have nulls for where no writing was done obviously. (In all other cases, I don't null out the buffer for speed, since I expect all 27 sectors to read.)

Anyway, I wanna be sure for the case that you're talking about, you had at least the last 2048 bytes of the data track in question being zero when you saw the error. If so, then there was nothing unusual. But yeah, check that and lemme know.

Also, it improperly recognized my J.B. Harold Murder Club (American version) as the Japanese version (the Japanese version was properly recognized as the Japanese version though).

Thanks. Square didn't tell me about odd cases such as this. I looked at the TOC database site, and it reveals both the US and JPN versions have the same TOC. He has recorded a CRC32 for both data tracks to identify them however. But as we now know, even using that is a problem since some drives fail to read the last few sectors which will fail to guarantee a reliable CRC32.

(Same problem with Wonderboy III in Monster Lair BTW and it looks like he didn't read the CRC32. Anyway, I think I know a way to detect these discs, but I might need your help for that. Usually, in the beginning of the data track, many developers leave the actual game title there. It's right after "NEC Home Electronics, Ltd.".  Anyhow, I could certainly use that instead of a CRC32 to differentiate.)

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Nov. 10, 2006, 10:48:28 PM »
I'm still ripping the originals... I've actually lost track of which discs failed to read fully, but I'm sure I can find at least one to answer your question above.

Other strange behaviours I have seen:

- Once, the DLL was somehow locked on a single machine (I was not locking it by using a second process anywhere on my network).  This went away and never happened again - I don't think I can repeat it.

- There are "bad" (non-ASCII) characters in the TOC names of several titles - notably, the RomRom2 Karaoke (the 2 is superscripted) and Ranma 1/2 titles (the 1/2 is a single character).  I know you didn't build the TOC, but I figured if they were going to use characters like those, they might as well have gone with the Japanese titles.

- "Emerald Dragon Taikenban + Guidebook" was not recognized

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Nov. 10, 2006, 11:02:34 PM »
OK, here's some crucial information about differences:

- Monster Lair (US) and (J) are NOT the same TOC.  But they are the same until the leadout.
US: Leadout: 40:34:20   LBA 182420
JPN: Leadout: 40:34:23   LBA 182423

As for the name after the 'NEC Home Electronics' blurb:
US:  MONSTER LAIR    891012
JPN:  MONSTER LAIR    890812

J.B. Harold doesn't have nice differences like those, though.
The TOC is the same, and there is no name at that point in the data track.
As I recall, this game had both languages built in from the beginning, so it's probably just one byte that's different.
(after actually running such a compare...)
Well, the data tracks are significantly different.
Offset 0x1001 is the first difference.
(J) 0xB0 0x53
(U) 0x78 0x62

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #61 on: Nov. 11, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »
OK, here's some crucial information about differences:

- Monster Lair (US) and (J) are NOT the same TOC.  But they are the same until the leadout.
JPN: Leadout: 40:34:23   LBA 182423

Hmmmm... OK, I didn't notice that. But now, either we got a problem here in Square's TOC or there is another print of the disc. Here's what I got:

JPN: Leadout: 40:34:22   LBA 182422

The JPN disc is off by one. You said it didn't recognize your JPN disc, right? That's what should've happened because the Leadout track's LBA is used to ID the disc. Well, looks like Squaresoft74 needs to know about this.

Here's the TOC for "Emerald Dragon Taikenban (J)":

Track (01)   audio   00:02:00   LBA=000000
Track (02)   data   00:49:71   LBA=003596
Track (03)   audio   10:54:54   LBA=048954
Track (04)   audio   15:19:13   LBA=068788
Track (05)   audio   17:14:25   LBA=077425
Track (06)   audio   19:18:46   LBA=086746
Track (07)   audio   21:25:45   LBA=096270
Track (08)   audio   23:35:43   LBA=106018
Track (09)   audio   25:42:53   LBA=115553
Track (10)   audio   27:00:29   LBA=121379
Track (11)   audio   29:22:21   LBA=132021
Track (12)   audio   33:07:68   LBA=148943
Track (13)   audio   34:05:31   LBA=153256
Track (14)   audio   35:03:70   LBA=157645
Track (15)   audio   37:35:15   LBA=168990
Track (16)   audio   39:56:31   LBA=179581
Track (17)   audio   41:30:54   LBA=186654
Track (18)   audio   42:48:59   LBA=192509
Track (19)   audio   44:12:32   LBA=198782
Track (20)   audio   45:13:65   LBA=203390
Leadout: 45:23:01   LBA 204076

I bet we'll have a similiar issue if you check this against the TOC file you dumped.

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Nov. 11, 2006, 11:39:30 PM »
Aha !

My mistake, when I ripped it.

The title is:
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu Taiken Play CD-ROM

The TOC is this:
Track 01 Audio 00:02:00 LBA=000000
Track 02 Data  00:52:53 LBA=003803
Track 03 Audio 04:02:74 LBA=018074
Track 04 Audio 04:55:34 LBA=022009
Track 05 Audio 09:45:04 LBA=043729
Track 06 Audio 14:36:20 LBA=065570
Track 07 Audio 17:16:42 LBA=077592
Track 08 Audio 21:23:59 LBA=096134
Track 09 Audio 21:59:04 LBA=098779
Track 10 Audio 27:48:60 LBA=125010
Track 11 Audio 32:42:46 LBA=147046
Track 12 Audio 35:19:16 LBA=158791
Track 13 Audio 40:16:09 LBA=181059
Track 14 Audio 45:02:24 LBA=202524
Track 15 Audio 50:42:64 LBA=228064
Track 16 Audio 55:56:20 LBA=251570
Track 17 Data  56:20:03 LBA=253353

Leadout: 57:52:73   LBA 260323

Well anyway - this TOC was not recognized.

In the PCECP, it is listed as "Kaze No Densetsu Xanadu Taikenban + Guidebook", but the actual title on the disc is closer to the one I gave above.
« Last Edit: Nov. 12, 2006, 01:53:57 PM by Dave Shadoff »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #63 on: Nov. 15, 2006, 12:48:39 AM »
Hm, it looks like Square doesn't have this. All I have in the TOC database that begin with 'Kaze no' are:

Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu - Sample Disc (J)
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu (J)
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (J)

He'll have to be informed of this when I get back to working on TurboRip. You've given me a lot of issues I'll have to remember that'll need to be resolved, that's for sure... :P

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Nov. 15, 2006, 01:15:04 AM »
Well, I made it through the whole collection.
Nothing too serious.... let me know when you get back to looking at it.

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Nov. 15, 2006, 01:18:10 AM »
Oh, wait... there are several versions of Tokimeki Memorial as well, and it only recognized one.  I was pretty sure that I had at least 2 of them, and the TOC's were probably different.

On the other hand, it might've been the data tracks... and I just wanted to finish the job of ripping.

I'll look at this again when you get back to working on TurboRip.

Offline Squaresoft74

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Necstasy
« Reply #66 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
Hi Nightwolve and Dave :)
I just came accross that thread so i guessed i could stop by.

Dave could you mail me the TOCs of your games that aren't recognized yet using TocReader (and different drives just to make sure you don't have any issue that side) aswell as their respective serial written on the disc's hub.

Nightwolve you have my MSN so let's see there if/when you want to chat about that.
In the meantime i'm going to see with the people from my board who own Monster Lair if any of them have a print that differ from the one listed on Necstasy.

As for the games that do share the same TOC, it's true that TurboRip currently can't make any difference between a version and another and might report the first TOC it has in its database that matches with the disc.
« Last Edit: Jan. 08, 2007, 05:52:41 PM by Squaresoft74 »

Offline Speciial T

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Jul. 05, 2007, 10:20:05 PM »
Hello,
I've been a member of your forums for awhile but I don't normally post. I just came across this thread and was amazed at this tool that you created (I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before). I think it's a great tool and I hope you continue to release future versions of it. I just donated to your site because you deserve it for the hard work you've put into the patches and this tool. The second reason I donated is because I really hope you decide to continue work on this tool (It hasn't been updated in a while) it has great possibilities and I hope that it will soon be able to rip other systems as well. Since I'm a collector I have a large library of CD based games that I would like to catalogue I hope this software will help me achieve that. I own Sega CD, PC engine, PC-FX, CD-I, 3DO, Saturn, & PSX.

Anyway thanks for providing the community with the services that you do!

Psycho DeuceBag your also greatly appreciated as well!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #68 on: Jul. 06, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »
Thanks for that. It put you in the Top 16 Donators category.

As for TurboRip, I was working on it some time back and had improved it a great deal. A lot of enhancements were already done, but I stopped just as I was about to work on gap detection issues. The gap issue was the most important thing and I didn't wanna release an update without having had that included. But other duties called. I went back to work on translation projects like ED6 and then Felghana if I'm not mistaken (last year). Anyhow, I can't say for sure when/if I'll get back to it. It's not in the cards at the moment.

Offline Speciial T

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jul. 06, 2007, 06:02:09 PM »
No problem, I hope the donation helps!!! And I look forward to your next release, whether it be this tool or another translation!

I do have a question about this tool in it's current form though. Since their were timing issues with the tracks, should I use another program for dump my PC-Engine CD's or can I still use this to create a 1:1 copy? If for the time being I should use another program, do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for the best possible method to create 1:1 copies. Thanks in advance for any information!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #70 on: Jul. 07, 2007, 08:56:10 AM »
It works fine except for the 7 Games Express discs, and PC-FX discs. There are a few very rare discs, 4-5, that are not named/identified properly as well. If it works with your drive (ie, is able to extract the data track up to the last sector), then you're OK.

Offline Speciial T

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Jul. 07, 2007, 12:52:21 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline Arjak

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Jun. 10, 2009, 05:50:37 PM »
Yo! I just downloaded TurboRip, and it doesn't detect my drive! Is there anything that can be done?

I'm running Windows Vista and my drive is an ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L.

Translation: It's a CD-RW/DVD-R drive that came with my new Compaq PC.

Is there anyway I can solve this problem? If not, would it be possible to make a new version of TurboRip?

It would mean a lot to me if I were able to rip Ys 4 so I could try that translation of yours on my actual system!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #73 on: Jun. 11, 2009, 01:36:03 PM »
Yeah, it needs an update for Vista. I was recently annoyed about this and found a workaround. I guess I can share it, though it's too early so don't spread it. Here ya go, attached:

EDIT: With more users moving to Vista/7/8, and no real problems with this version, it's OK/safe to share it everywhere. I set the links up with TurboRip to where if you click on version 1, it downloads this version, a quiet update, but yeah, it's been done. FYI.

I still have plans for the new version, which has already been upgraded to work with SPTI, so never again will it have problems because of the stupid ASPI DLL, which is what caused this issue between XP and Vista/7/8. SPTI is Microsoft's native method for communicating with CD/DVD devices via SCSI, so going direct means faster responses and no compatibility issues. Too bad I hadn't learned this when I released the first version...

Broken BETA now obsolete, get the latest'n'greatest with v1.40!!!!

https://www.ysutopia.net/get.php?id=TurboRip

Offline Arjak

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jun. 12, 2009, 01:00:11 PM »
YES! It works! Much appreciated, NightWolve! I'm sorry about all the shit I said about you on THAT forum. That was uncalled for, considering that it was based around a simple misunderstanding. :-[

Offline IinoSama

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Jun. 29, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »
Wow... awesome stuff! Just checked it out on my old copy of Ys I & II for the TG-16. Being a media freak I tend to like renaming and categorizing my media. However, this little app happened to know what disc I had stuck in. I read that the program can test the legitimacy of the disc using a TOC Database? One hiccup I noticed is that it didn't seem to recognize my copy of Ys III for the old TG-16? Ys I and II was labelled properly on the track output, but Ys III wasn't? Is this maybe because we had to import it from Japan at the time? Maybe Hudson changed some things when they ported it over here? Or do you have the Japanese Titles in that db inside the app?

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #76 on: Jul. 05, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »
YES! It works!

Great!

I'm sorry about all the shit I said about you on THAT forum. That was uncalled for, considering that it was based around a simple misunderstanding. :-

Well, it was forgiveable considering you were a $50 donator, a very very rare breed indeed - I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Most of those that were bitching were the usual freeloading suspects, so their opinions are of little to no use, in other words, mostly useless, but to have seen you and what you said was a bit troubling, plus I knew it was something that could easily be corrected, that is, assuming you weren't doing it on purpose (something I couldn't initially tell)...

Anyway, as I'm the big, bad, evil NightWolve, all that kind of stuff comes with the territory, ya know? ;)

I read that the program can test the legitimacy of the disc using a TOC Database?

Yeah, basically a French fellow named Squaresoft74 collects the TOC from someone with an original PCE/TG-16 silver by giving them a little application (pcerip) to read it. He stores all the collected data on a website, here. I came up with the idea of using that data to identify the title of the disc after having seen it in action with the Magic Engine emulator.

One hiccup I noticed is that it didn't seem to recognize my copy of Ys III for the old TG-16?

Hm, it should. Are you using an original silver, and not some burned CD-R  ? Lemme see the TOC data that TurboRip produces when reading that disc.

Ys I and II was labelled properly on the track output, but Ys III wasn't? Is this maybe because we had to import it from Japan at the time? Maybe Hudson changed some things when they ported it over here? Or do you have the Japanese Titles in that db inside the app?

Yeah, it normally works since everything is in there, so something is up.

Offline Sanhime

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Aug. 22, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
Tadaima!

Would you recommend using Alcohol (clonecd format) for making backup images of original CDs and for burning as well?
« Last Edit: Aug. 22, 2010, 11:39:21 AM by Sanhime »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #78 on: Aug. 25, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
Hi Sanhime, long time no see!

I use Alcohol basic just for mounting, although it does have image ripping features. Seems to work OK.

You want the best freeware that I know of at present for burning software, that's gonna have to be ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Hey guys, I just went live with a new version of TurboRip v1.40 that fixed/improved several things and added new TOCs for the NEC PC-FX to coincide with the release of the Zeroigar English fan translation patch by elmer and SamIAm!! Hoping to see feedback from people with original CD-ROMs of PCE or PCFX games!

What's trippy for me is after I got it working on Windows 98SE, I went to my Winbook 7" tablet that I just upgraded to Windows 10, plugged in my USB hub, a DVD drive connected via USB, brought TurboRip over on a USB memory stick, started it, and with a Xak III CD-ROM, I always able to rip it however I wanted, ISO/WAV/CUE, or encoded to MP3 just to listen to the audio tracks, or even in ISO/APE/CUE for archival/backup purposes! :) Same behavior on Win98SE to WinVista and on to Win10, etc.! Just hard to believe it could be coded universal enough and work on all Windows flavors, past, and right up to the present! And it's coded in "C" and some Intel x86 Assembly like real men used to code, not in some slow ass Java crap!!! :P

This will be the universal download link: https://www.ysutopia.net/get.php?id=TurboRip

And here's a look at the changelog:

Version 1.40 (8/8/2015):

+ Uses the Native NT SCSI Library for NT/2K/XP/Vista/7/8/10 platforms! No more
   dependency on an ASPI DLL and none of the problems associated with it!!!

+ Certified, tested, approved for use all the way back to Windows 98SE for the
   "retro" in you, as well as all the way to the present with the new arrival
   of Windows 10!!!! Even I find it hard to believe it works in all of them!!!

+ Improved skipping of unreadable data sectors near postgap area transition.
   If you had trouble reading some PC Engine/TG-16 discs, this should help.

+ Major Command Prompt interface enhancement: TurboRip can now be fully run by
   double-clicking it anywhere in Windows Explorer! The user no longer has to
   first open a Command Prompt window and then CD to the folder where it is
   located in order to enter parameters! User will be prompted for parameters
   if none were detected when TurboRip is executed/double-clicked!! A troll on
   the Ancient Land of Ys forums once barked, "How do you use this F#!K1NG!
   PROGRAM?!?!?!?!" having never encountered command-line programs before and
   not knowing how to first open a Command Prompt before using it... Short of
   a future Windows GUI version, this enhancement solves that issue! Of course
   you can't fix stupid nor those who couldn't bother to read instructions...

+ By request, the TOC CD-ROM data of NEC PC-FX videogames (50 out of 80) were
   added to coincide with the release of the "Tyoushin Heiki Zeroigar" English
   fan translation patch on 8/8/2015!! Only games such as Zeroigar (a shooter)
   were added that "OBEY" the standard mixed-mode CD-ROM rules which can
   accurately be ripped by TurboRip (The next version will have all 80!).

+ Added CD-TEXT support! Some music audio discs can have track file names and
   other info such as artist, composer, genre, etc. burned into the "Lead-in"
   area of the disc. Unfortunately, it's rare to find discs using this feature
   because it arrived towards the end of the CD format's life, but I thought
   I'd add support for it nonetheless! You still have CDDB of course. (You can
   think of this feature as CDDB BTW, but that the album data/info is actually
   burned into the disc so you don't need a program to do a CDDB look-up over
   the Internet to obtain it.)

+ Added CD-EXTRA support! If your music audio disc carries an "Enhanced CD"
   label, then it's really a multi-session disc that comes in three possible
   forms, both with audio tracks and a MODE2 data track that can include music
   videos, interviews with the band, whatever, etc. So, I've added support for
   ripping the one format that I know of for now. I happen to have some of
   these discs, so I wanted to make TurboRip work with them. Unlike with
   CD-TEXT, music audio discs such as these are more common.

+ Various performance enhancements in interface, behavior, coding were made to
   really make this app as great as it should be!! However, index/gap detection
   by reading the "Q" subchannel failed to make it in this version. Stay tuned!

+ To reduce the size of TurboRip, all third-party components for MP3 (LAME)
   and APE are now zipped within TurboRip and extracted/unzipped on demand.

+ When using the /APE parameter for perfect CD backups, support files are now
   extracted to easily decompress APE files back to WAVE when needed! Simply
   double-clicking the "APE_TO_WAVE.bat" batch file will do the trick!

+ The default 3.9.9.0 (2004) Monkey’s Audio (APE) codec no longer requires the
   Unicode layer to work on Windows 98SE, so TurboRip fully works with both its
   APE and MP3 codecs on a clean install of all Windows flavors!!! :)

+ Bug fix: I noticed on Windows XP that as TurboRip read sectors from a CD/DVD
   drive connected via USB or FireWire, it could actually lose the connection!!
   This could happen consistently when you ALT+TAB'ed to switch to another app!
   I found the solution was to raise the Process Priority of TurboRip to HIGH!
   Normally, disc burning software will raise the Process Priority to HIGH as
   well when *burning* a disc which makes sense, and so with all that, I now
   ALWAYS set TurboRip's priority to HIGH to avoid the bug with external drives
   AND speed up the ripping time - it might as well live up to its name!! :)

+ Bug fix: Fixed a drive selection bug in Windows 98SE when selecting a drive
   number from the prompt menu.

+ Fixed issue that caused "Linda ³ (J)" to be excluded from the TOC database.
   Squaresoft74's use of the fancy superscript "3" was the culprit...

+ If all CD tracks are audio, it's a music CD (not videogame!) so messages
   like "Note: No videogame CD-ROM was detected." were eliminated.

+ The track file-naming style was changed to put the track # (01-99) first.
   This is better for sorting and viewing the CD image file set I think.

+ TurboRip no longer installs its own ASPI layer for Win9X/ME, it instead just
   relies on the default Adaptec ASPI layer. Compatibility is still maintained!

+ TurboRip sets the TOP_MOST flag 'on' of the Command Prompt window so it can
   never be hidden behind other windows until it is closed or minimized.

+ Bug fix: Fixed a minor bug that caused the /name parameter to be overwritten
   when the last parameter specified was /useaspi or if any other text was
   mistakenly typed at the Command Prompt.