Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Files downloaded during install?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Files downloaded during install?
« on: Jan. 27, 2006, 05:04:26 PM »
I noticed that when installing the english patches that they download install some extra files. What I wanted to know is what files does it download, where can I download these files sperately.. and last... can I put these files in the same folder with the english patches and have it grab the files from this location first rather than the internet.

Offline ViperD

• Eager Initiate
  • Silly gilly.
    • View Profile
RE: Files downloaded during install?
« Reply #1 on: Jan. 27, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »
I'm guessing it's downloading the update patch, here are the links for non-radeon and radeon patches. You can apply the patches before installing the English patch and it won't download them. I don't know how it is with Ys II since I haven't tried it yet.

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan. 27, 2006, 07:50:25 PM »
Kewls.. thanks for those pages.. The main reasons I want to know what files are used and if they can be put in the same folder as the english installer and grabbed from thier instead of the net is that URL's and Locations of file names always change. So if I try to say install this a year from now and it won't let me because I can't download the needed files.

Offline Platypus

• aka Haohmaru
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan. 28, 2006, 04:27:52 AM »
I don't think it will be a problem for the nearest future. If the patches are changed or moved, NightWolve will update the script.

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Re: Files downloaded during install?
« Reply #4 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 03:57:42 AM »
Too bad he didn't have two versions...

1 - Patch & Web Install Updates

2 - Patch & Updates Built In

The 2nd patch would be a bit bigger, but would be alot nicer... the Ys II Patch could included the new Ys II Intro video.

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 07:38:48 AM »
Nightwolve was a bit worried that the Ys II intro clip would kill his servers banwidth, where he to host it directly or include in the actual file itself. The videos only 15megs, but when you initially release something you've got over a thoursnd heads flooding your server, which adds up fast. ISPs tend to look down appon that sorta 'activity'.

As for Falcoms game patches being built-in, there may have been a legal issue. In general translations never accompany games or updates, so the way Nightwolve handled it was great IMO. Besides, each of the two patches are under a meg.

Oh, and don’t forget to install the ‘atlernative OST’, you’ll enjoy it far more than the ones Falcom included with these two games.

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 11:27:17 AM »
I have the atlernative OST installed.. I like it better... Plus I do own orginals of Ys I & II and Y IV for the TG-16/PCE CD... I also made my own little auto-play menu for Ys I & II Complete.... with it you can install Daemon Tools v4.03, Mount The CDs Image with Daemon Tools to install the game, Install English Patches, Install Atlernative OST, then Exit... I used in game gfx to make menu..

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #7 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 11:32:05 AM »
Shades pretty much answered that, although the reason I've not bothered to deal with this thread is because this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had someone pestering about a non-issue, which makes me suspicious. I decided not to delete this thread, though, cause I'm just not sure about him and his questioning as well as when the other guy did it. I just wondered if it's about creating an ISO with my patches and what not.

You've got the Internet to download the patch, so what's a possible two more one-time downloads to deal with? Why is that so hard for a few? It doesn't take but a minute to patch the thing, it couldn't be easier, and yet, these few came out of the wood work demanding to know where it put the ysc0107.zip file and not even reading the status messages which do show you both links for the AVI in Ys II's case, as well as the Falcom patch (ysc0107.zip or ysc0203.zip) zip. For the record, since it was so hard to figure out, instead of putting ysc0107.zip right in say YS1_CMP, if you're installing Ys I, it puts it one folder above. That way, were you to later install Ys II, that patcher will look one folder above and find it, so then it won't have to download it again. This was Psycho DeuceBag's recommendation to prevent downloading the same file twice.

Anyway, as for the AVI, why can't you save it in another location now that you've had it downloaded? Backup the whole damn folder after you've patched if you're so concerned my host, Falcom, etc. will disappear and you won't be able to download the needed patches or I won't be around to update the patch in that event. Unless of course you wanna know for reasons you're not being honest about.

There's no reason to put the AVI inside the Ys II patch when someone was willing to afford me the bandwidth to allow it to be downloaded from another site.

EDIT: Oh shit, he/she/whatever just posted right as I was writing this. Man, I knew it! No normal person using my patches should've ever cared about this when I took care of everything. He was building some kind of ISO after all. I fucking knew it!

The main reasons I want to know what files are used and if they can be put in the same folder as the english installer and grabbed from thier instead of the net is that URL's and Locations of file names always change. So if I try to say install this a year from now and it won't let me because I can't download the needed files.

That wasn't the fucking "main reasons" you fucking lying liar. I had a feeling you were bullshitting, but I held back in the mean time, cause I can't really stop asswipes from building ISOs of my shit permissionless (no sense in losing sleep over the inevitable) and I didn't wanna make an assumption on you.

FINAL EDIT: I guess you got what you came here for, so you can fuck off now. Thanks for motivating in me the first flame, in what was otherwise a pleasant new board of Ys fans. I wanted to start fresh and rid myself of some of my past, but I guess I can't.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
Invitation for a lawsuit
« Reply #8 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 12:12:29 PM »
Amy, contrary to what you might believe, NightWolve did not make his translation patches to support piracy.  He didn't disable the CD-Check mechanism to support piracy.  He made these patches so that Ys fans like myself could play two games they enjoy in English (and some of us would rather keep games that we imported for $80+ in a safe place rather than the CD/DVD drive).

Considering the fact that you can buy BOTH games for the low price of $47 US (as opposed to $80 EACH), there is no reason to build your own ISO since 1) it's much easier to buy (and, if necessary, backup) a legit copy, and 2) NightWolve keeps releasing improvements to his patch.  Notice that the version of the Ys I patch you have is 1.26, not 1.00.

The only reason anyone could possibly have for making an ISO of the games packaged with the translation patches is to share it on BitTorrent.  If you bothered reading the Terms of Usage at the beginning of the patch installer, that is behavior we WILL NOT tolerate.  Why?  Because people can, and have, been sued over this.  And neither NightWolve, Psycho DeuceBag, nor anyone involved in the patches' development want to take any responsibility for your apparent lack of ethics.

The patches are intended for people who legitimately bought the games, not for people who want to avoid shelling out a few bucks.  And we'll be damned if your saving $47 costs any of us a few grand in punitive damages.

If you're making this ISO as your own personal backup copy for a legitimately-purchased Ys I-II Complete package, then I'll retract my statements.  It'd be a stupid decision since the ISO would be obsolete once the next version of the patch comes out, but I'm not going to lecture you any more than I already have.  However, let me make it clear that THESE PATCHES ARE NOT TO BE DISTRIBUTED WITH COPIES OF THE GAME for any reason.  Understood?
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: Invitation for a lawsuit
« Reply #9 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
If you're making this ISO as your own personal backup copy for a legitimately-purchased Ys I-II Complete package, then I'll retract my statements.  It'd be a stupid decision since the ISO would be obsolete once the next version of the patch comes out, but I'm not going to lecture you any more than I already have. 

Let's face it, you don't build something elaborate like that to keep to yourself. You don't pester for information on the Ancient Land of Ys board and snap when that information is not provided, nor do you pester for information right here, just to keep something like that to yourself.

Anyway, I feel for credibility's sake, I should more accurately expand on my position based on what you said. I have no credibility to criticize one on piracy, obviously, given my past. Even now, I'm compromised in that area. But anyway, that's not what I was taking issue with. It was the permissionless aspect to this, basically yeah, what's stated in the License. I don't give the permission to do this (if you came to me first about this, that's another story), not that my authority once the patch is in your hands will be respected, but that is the case. So, I don't lose sleep over such a thing. But I'll be damned if you come here, and deceptively mine for information from me or my board members to help you do it. It was the portraying yourself as a concerned Ys fan, worried that the links might go bad in the future, and what'll happen when you wanna install it then? etc... That bullshit.

My first gut reaction, the first time this other dude was mining for this information told me they were up to something, because no regular user needed to worry about this. The patcher does its job and you're done within a minute. So the pestering, the querying, the researching, the portrayal of concern over links going bad a year from now, etc. revealed attempts at being less than forthright about your reasons for wanting to know more about the inner workings of the patches.

Offline Arjak

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 12:47:06 PM »
That's the lowest of the low, Amy. >:(

I don't know about any of you guys, but the rule I always operate under is: If you can get it the right way, ALWAYS do so. When I buy an NES game that I have a rom of, I delete the rom. All of my roms are of either games I don't have or Japanese games (usually translations, in which I don't have much choice). I ALWAYS buy the game if I can.

And if you do put this game up, I WILL report you. You think Falcom makes these games for fun? NightWolve is trying to do us a favor and I will do whatever it takes to support that and Falcom.

END OF RANT

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 01:09:36 PM »
Actually did making it for my own use only... I've done this for a few things I have gotten.... and I only made a copy for myself and my brother... you will never see this anywhere... I promise that... if you don't beleive me.. then keep checking torrent sites, newsgroups, irc channels, etc... you will never see it... some people like to do things for their own personal use...

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #12 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »
Actually did making it for my own use only... I've done this for a few things I have gotten.... and I only made a copy for myself and my brother... you will never see this anywhere... I promise that... if you don't beleive me.. then keep checking torrent sites, newsgroups, irc channels, etc... you will never see it... some people like to do things for their own personal use...

I think I could believe you. I've spent hours making things for myself too. But still, if you would distribute this, you would betray all of us. Especially NightWolve and Falcom.
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: ! Sir, the door was open.

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 01:17:24 PM »
I should also note... I do own orginals of this game, I like to keep my orginals safe so they don't get scratched... I make a backup or sometimes or make autoplay menu's if this game has extra content I wish to install.....So I do this sort of thing for my own use... and thank you for the flame... I guess its so well deserved

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #14 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 01:39:52 PM »
So I do this sort of thing for my own use... and thank you for the flame... I guess its so well deserved

Why must you continue to insult my and others' intelligence with this? This is your cop out, now, it's just for you own use? You needed a whole fucking installation system like this, you needed to pester people both here and on the Ancient Land of Ys board, just so you can build an entire elaborate menu installation system for something you already know how to install? I mean, you even matched the Ys II font, or actually, it looks like you hacked some edits into the game to produce that menu result, then took a screenshot of it... That took some work, and all this fuss, just to keep it to yourself, for the one day that you might have to reinstall it??? Puh-lease... Oh, and one more person, your brother as you as say... LOL

You were already deceptive in your approach to begin with, and now you would expect someone to actually believe you. Pffft. Look, I can't stop you, so you might as well not bother hoisting another 'con' on me or anyone else here. Just don't bother, and also, if I see you asking for more technical information, the post will be deleted, although, I don't expect you to continue posting here were I even to allow it, since, you know, you got what you wanted.

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 04:58:10 PM »
WOW, IF you really are creating this for yourself, I have to say that you have far too much time on your hands. I'll be monitoring Hongfire, the house of all pirated Asian things. If I see it there, I'll be very dispointed. And as a follower of NW's work I will PM him with a direct link. As for what happens next, that's outa my mands. Just remember message boards log IP numbers for a reason, nuff said.

This topic looks like some set us up the bomb, some serious flame bait here.  :P :P :P

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #16 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »
Yeah, like "set us up the bomb" when it's actually "set up us the bomb." ;)
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: ! Sir, the door was open.

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 06:47:53 PM »
LMFAO as Comicbook-guy would say 'worst, translation, ever'.  :-X

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb. 19, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »
I really don't want to fight, you don't beleive me then fine... some people like to do things for the fun of it, I had fun doing this. I only ever use 2 programs to make this, AutoPlay Media Studio 6 and the Windows Paint Program... I took one of the screenshots from your site and went from their... I fliped and rotated parts of other letters one at a time to make any letters I needed... do you want do see the AutoPlay Menu I made for the Rockstar Classics I made for my own use... have you ever see this up for downloads? No, because it was a fun project I wanted to do for myself. I even went out and bought an orginal Ys IV from ebay.... so I could play it with your translation patch.. I'm just a fan of the Ys series of games like everyone else... I don't know how else to prove this is for my own use... you want my full name, address... my phone number? You more than welcome to call me and talk about it.

« Last Edit: Feb. 19, 2006, 09:00:43 PM by AmyGrrl »

Offline AmyGrrl

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb. 20, 2006, 01:20:48 AM »
You want some truth about why I made the menu's... well here's why I did it... I hate my damn life... I never leave my appartment.. have no friends... all I do is play games, watch movies, etc.. I look for things to do to fill up my pathetic time, this happened to be one of them... I liked the Ys Games and thought it would be a little fun to do this... was sometime to do besides the same old crap I normally do... sit around and stare at wall and see if I actually feel like doing something today... I don't care if you hate me, I bet I hate myself more than you do... and I think your going to feel pretty stupid when months, perhaps years later... you never see my own personal project on the net... if you want you can come over here and pull the trigger for me since I haven't worked up the courage to do it myself yet...

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #20 on: Feb. 20, 2006, 10:02:33 AM »
LOL. Oh boy.

I don't care if you hate me, I bet I hate myself more than you do... and I think your going to feel pretty stupid when months, perhaps years later... you never see my own personal project on the net...

Look, I'm not interested in having this discussion with you anymore. I might've believed you if not for the addition of Daemon Tools and the work one would have to do to put that image together. "Proving me wrong" now is a matter of not releasing it, when you likely had that intention to begin with when you created it, so that wouldn't prove to me anything. It would only prove you recognize my disapproval now and would respect that.

This isn't to say that I dislike the idea of something like this. Certainly, it would solve the installation problem related to the save subfolder. I've thought about something similiar where I could have the patcher check if a real Ys CD is mounted and then ask you to manually install it, but I don't have the time right now. Anyway, what I did dislike was a) your deceptiveness both here and elsewhere as to the real intentions of why you were seeking the information and b) doing it without my permission/input.

So, you do what you wanna do now. You already left me out of it once, even though you went so far as to come on my board and seek information, so there's no reason not to continue to leave me out of it. I have things to do now and I don't need to get any more bent out of shape over this.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May. 24, 2006, 09:40:18 AM »
I hate my damn life... I never leave my appartment.. have no friends... all I do is play games, watch movies, etc.. I look for things to do to fill up my pathetic time, this happened to be one of them...

If you really are a girl, and at least 18... I recommend taking up working in the pr0n industry. It would be a liberating, uplifting experience able to be don right from your apartment! PM amateur nudie pics to me for judgement ;)

But seriously... while I think your little is menu is neat, yeah it makes things sound awefully suspicious. I've also already caught 1 or 2 He-girls (lAnd that last statement about suicide truely sounded like a PMS'ing woman or are terribly emo young man) around here myself so NW questioning your gender comes as no suprise. I've spent time making fancy VCD menus that only I ever watched, and other neat but total wastes of time so I COULD believe that this is for personal use.

It's the way you went about things though... if you had been more straightforward to begin with it sounds like, (although I admit I didn't see anything about this before today) perhaps things would have been easier on you. But you know what? "Install Daemon Tools" on your own "personal menu" makes not a damn bit of sense. You install it once and forget about it... it's easy to re-get if you need to. The ONLY person this option would be useful for is some dumbass that downloaded an ISO and has no idea how to mount it because he's never heard of Daemon Tools. No, this doesn't look good.

EDIT: Yes, I know I necro'd an old post... but I couldn't resist ;)
« Last Edit: May. 24, 2006, 04:59:08 PM by JoeQuaker »