Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Ys: The Oath in Felghana Translation  (Read 32267 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: Ys: The Oath in Felghana Translation
« Reply #80 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 02:01:19 AM »
I just signed up today and donated a quick $25 to NightWolve.

That was mighty generous of you! As such, you get 25 Karma points! ;)

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Psycho PruvMeRong (THE Leaker)

• Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 03:06:42 AM »
I agree with Roda, I can't even imagine how much work is involved in translating a game like this. I mean, even professional developers take quite a while to finish a port, and for a small handful of people like you guys doing it is rather impressive. I'm a broke college student, so was only able to donate $5. I'll toss ya some more when/if I can.
Thanks for the patch, NightWolve... hehehehhehehehehhehehhehehheheheheheh

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 06:28:14 PM »
I was just wondering, you know how Psycho DeuceBag and Nightwolve translated the games into english right. But let's say someone wants to use this english translation and translate it to some other european language (which would definitely be easier), would they have to give credit to Psycho DeuceBag and Nightwolve? I mean, I know the translation isn't copyrighted, but wouldn't that make people neglect these things?

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #83 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 07:51:07 PM »
I've actually had a dilemma with translations to other languages. I once hoped to run it the way dejap.com and other fan translating teams did. They keep control of the patch, get a volunteer that wants to translate the script to say Spanish and when that person(s) finishes, they hand the script back, and another patch is added to the site for Spanish, etc. As time went by though I realized I don't have the time for it nor do I care enough about it...

What I've had happened here is somebody shows up and does a, "Oh, btw, I'm translating Ys I Complete to Spanish or Russian and I had a question about this or that, etc." So they essentially want to work on their language using my patches without my knowledge and they only show up when they get stuck, etc. Some cases they want to be handed off all the tools and secrets I've dug up to have gotten as far as I have (e.g. Felghana, the creator of this thread who wanted to translate it to Russian and had a bitchfest when I didn't give him all my source, and so forth).

On the other hand, when someone does follow what I used to say in the ReadMe to contact me about translating to their language, I always decline because I'm too busy... Basically, you do it behind my back, I get a little offended, you ask me, then I'm too busy... Heh.

The issue on credit is a small thing. If I don't even know they're doing it, it's really all up to them to credit us. What can I do? I can't stop them for certain projects... I could of course encrypt my work, though, but I didn't do that for Ys I & II Complete, so it's possible for them to do it on their own, especially Ys I Complete, because I made the script file so easy to work with (you can grow or shrink any string, as long as it ends with a 00, it'll all work).

Anyway, I don't care so much anymore. I'm too busy to manage more languages and I would rather move on to a new project. It's just not in my interest. So, it would have to happen by someone that does rehack the game using my work. While I sorta don't appreciate that, I recognize that's the only way it will bring the game to another language as I couldn't be bothered. I'm sure most of them will take the minimal effort to say they snagged my patch and worked off of that, at the very least.

Offline geise

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Jan. 17, 2007, 09:42:05 PM »
I would like to translate Felghana to Klingon...is that ok? :D I have some really good translation tools. http://www.tc.umn.edu/~joela/.

Offline Feena1974

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jan. 18, 2007, 07:39:56 AM »
Hey there! I just wanted to say that the translation to Felghana is absolutely wonderful! Thank you again for the terrific work you guys have done. I have loved the Ys series from when I first played it back on the Turbografx CD. I've been a Falcom fan ever since. One game that would great to have translated would be Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes 2 on the Turbografx CD.
Again, you guys will always have my support and donations, and I will send another by the end of this month. I really think it is the least we can all do for the incredible time and effort put into all these translation projects. If there is anything I can do more to help, please let me know. Cheers to you all!  :)
« Last Edit: Jan. 18, 2007, 07:43:23 AM by Feena1974 »

12kokki

« Reply #86 on: Jan. 18, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
Hi, I also wanted to say THANKS for your work. I would have never been able to enjoy my favorite series of games if is was not for your translation project. I will donate more often nowadays, when money is good, hehehe. I donated 3 bucks, though it is not much it is all I have in paypal at the moment, hehe. But, keep up the grand work!!!! I can not wait to get the patch for Felghana!! Stay true!!

Tim

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Jan. 18, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »
A side note:

Nightwolve, if you don't mind me asking, were you by any chance a computer science/engineering major? If not, where did you go to learn about all the stuff for programming and computer related issues? Just curious.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #88 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 01:33:15 AM »
I've already spilled the beans on myself in the about page which answers your question, right here.

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 01:52:34 AM »
Well normally when someone does a translation in another language based on another one, that person will mention in the credit section where the source translation is found and the people who created the first translation. It is common knowledge or else they will get flamed by the community.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #90 on: Jan. 19, 2007, 01:56:30 AM »
I don't know even why that issue was brought up to be honest. Who here cares, unless they have an interest as a member of a group that is planning on using my work to translate from that to their language? The question is asked, "Would they have to give credit?" Well, duh, it's the least they could do despite the fact that my License doesn't give them permission to retranslate in the first place. I can't do to much to stop 'em assuming they a) exist and b) I find out about it... Actually, we've got one guy already that did just as I said, they never sought my permission, they just showed up when they got stuck: https://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=217.0

He wants to do a Russian version of Ys I. Only shows up because of a font issue. I could've told him to f' off, but I just didn't give a shit at this point. But then, like I said, had he sought to translate under my terms by first asking, well, I would've said I'm too busy, so, I just have to live with it. I even helped him a bit. That's how worn down I am on the matter. I ought to encrypt my work in the future to fuck 'em over just for the hell of it. At least make 'em jump another hurdle they otherwise wouldn't have had to... Heh.

Offline Trunks

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Jan. 23, 2007, 04:39:34 PM »
I am willing to do whatever it takes to convince you to host here an spanish version with any help I can give on translation (I'm from Mexico).

Please let me know if you can consider doing it, the proper way, with your supervision since day one and nothing rude like stealing nothing from your work.  >:(

Please let me know if this is possible, because I've made a search and there doesn't seem to be any spanish translation for any Ys in PC.  :~(

Please think about it !!! (pretty please)  :-\

Thanks in advance  ;D

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Jan. 23, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »
^^ are you sure there's absolutely NO one? And to think that there's more spanish speakers than english speakers....

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #93 on: Jan. 23, 2007, 06:11:47 PM »

Please let me know if this is possible, because I've made a search and there doesn't seem to be any spanish translation for any Ys in PC.  :~(

Try these guys. I tracked down the link from their old site.

http://ysforever.v10.com.br/inicial_pt3.htm

http://ysforever.v10.com.br/downloads.htm

It's Português which I assume is close enough to Mexican. I'm not sure about their progress. But I think they did finish Ys I more or less.

It's a terribly slow site that takes forever to load, so bear with it. Anyway, worth a look.

And to think that there's more spanish speakers than english speakers....

Eh, let's not encourage them by pointing that out, shall we? ;) It is they that must learn English! Chinese is the most spoken language in the entire world, but would any of us here want it to become dominant? Hell no. :P

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jan. 23, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
You do know that America has no official national language, right?

That said, the Spanish language is annoying to listen to.  Sounds nice when sung, though.
Jeff "Call me DeuceBag!" Nussbaum - The greatest criminal in fan translation history! A lying, conniving, thieving, scheming, backstabbing monster of epic proportions!

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Jan. 23, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »
^^ yeah, that's why I took french instead of spanish back in highschool but I regret it because there's like very little to no usage for it. Where as you can actually find a growing population of latinos in america (well southwestern states anyway). But I would've taken Japanese over anything else if that was offered. For some reason, Japanese just sounds a bit strange yet unique at the same time...

Oh yes, Psycho DeuceBag, where did you learn the Japanese you currently use/speak/etc. Was it self taught?

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #96 on: Jan. 24, 2007, 03:19:50 AM »
You do know that America has no official national language, right?

That said, the Spanish language is annoying to listen to.  Sounds nice when sung, though.

That doesn't mean it's not implicit. It has long been the de facto official language spoken by the vast majority of the population. Has Congress been passing laws written in any other language since the founding of the republic? English is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements. One must demonstrate an ability to read, write, and speak English to become a naturalized citizen. (It isn't hard to look this up and state the obvious.) I'd like to think it's still taught in government funded public schools (which all operate in English to my knowledge), but these days you can't be too sure.

Of course, lately with multi-cultis, anti-assimilation forces of whatever kind with overt or covert declared intentions, illegal amigos busting through the borders day in, day out, etc. taking the step to actually declare English the official language and provide some kind of enforcement to that effect is prudent, unless the hope is to balkanize the country. It ought to be something even libs like you can get behind. ;) Ought to be, but I take it it is not.

Oh, and you do know that a majority of states have declared English their official language and more are following suit? My state is one of them, so's yours...

Really, would a piece of paper passed by the Congress (which would be written in English) and signed by the President into law declaring English the official language make all the difference for you?? It's gotta be done at the federal level, and if not, what is de facto and what states do doesn't count?

Anyway, I support the passing of this piece of paper into federal law, so then we won't have talking points continuing to show up in the form of, "America has no official language declared at the federal level." At the very least, it'll get rid of that talking point which would make me happy, even if it was only symbolic.

Offline Trunks

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Jan. 24, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »

Try these guys. I tracked down the link from their old site.

http://ysforever.v10.com.br/inicial_pt3.htm

http://ysforever.v10.com.br/downloads.htm

It's Português which I assume is close enough to Mexican. I'm not sure about their progress. But I think they did finish Ys I more or less.

It's a terribly slow site that takes forever to load, so bear with it. Anyway, worth a look.

Oh no.. portuguese is nothing like spanish. Is like asking a Japanese to read chinese kanji. It's similar, but I rarely understand a phrase or two.

So, my idea to make an "official" spanish patch, stands. NightWolve, please tell me where to start and I'll do it gladly.

Thanks in advance!!

Offline Haven

• Dennis Pulido
  • Hapless Fledgling
  • Who knows? The Shadow knows!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Jan. 25, 2007, 11:04:45 AM »
I'm an unemployed Art college student T_T

But I couldn't bear it any longer!!

*donates*

Hopefully I'll be making moola by the time of your next project....
(YS 7!!! SUPER ROBOT WARS OGS!!)

wewt