Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Sample Screenshots of a New YsIV:DOY Font  (Read 8252 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Sample Screenshots of a New YsIV:DOY Font
« on: Feb. 26, 2007, 02:13:42 AM »
This is a new font Psycho DeuceBag made that I inserted. How do you like it? How about a new patch some time down the road that used this instead of the Courrier VGA font that is presently used? Look at the screenshots on the Ys IV project page for comparison over here: https://www.ysutopia.net/projects/ys4/

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline WordMan

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Hi. What a wonderful smell you've discovered.
    • View Profile
Re: Sample Screenshots of a New YsIV:DOY Font
« Reply #1 on: Feb. 26, 2007, 07:42:27 AM »
It's much nicer to look at.   With the courier font, I imagine everyone talking like Robots.  Am I the only one that happens to?

No one will remember today except that two stood against many. I ask you, Father Crom, grant me victory, grant me revenge. And if you will not grant them to me; then the hell with you!

When all else fails, we shall whip the horse's eyes and make
them sleep, and cry.

Offline Platypus

• aka Haohmaru
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar. 01, 2007, 04:55:17 AM »
The new font is nice. It looks more like a game-font than the Courier vga font I guess.
The only thing I don't like is the mono-spacing (it's called that right?). Look at the word "still" for instance, there's lot of space between the 'i' and the 'l's.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #3 on: Mar. 01, 2007, 02:22:37 PM »
Unfortunately a fixed width font is all you can hope for when it comes to PC-Engine/TG-16 games. I think I've seen one game where they managed to pull off a variable width font, but that's about it.

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar. 01, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »
I think the original Courier font that you used was really nice.  If you use a sans-serif font, it becomes seriously obvious when it isn't variable-width.

But watch for a variable-width font in another transation at some point in the (hopefully near) future... I think it's the only serious way to deal with text-based digital comics, because there is so much text involved (generally longer passages than this type of RPG, because there is less happening visually).

But VWF hacks are all one-offs, and assembler hacks of that sort are pretty tough, so don't hold your breath...

I'm curious about how you obtained that other font ?
(I think I heard one time... but now that I'm looking for decent fonts, I want to hear it again)

Offline Agent_K64

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Hax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar. 01, 2007, 06:44:40 PM »
I think the new font looks better. As others have said, it looks more "game-like".
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar. 01, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »
The new font is an 8x12 edit of one of the 8x16 fonts found in the original Ys Book I & II for TurboGrafx-CD.
Jeff "Call me DeuceBag!" Nussbaum - The greatest criminal in fan translation history! A lying, conniving, thieving, scheming, backstabbing monster of epic proportions!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #7 on: Mar. 02, 2007, 05:04:27 PM »
I think the original Courier font that you used was really nice.  If you use a sans-serif font, it becomes seriously obvious when it isn't variable-width.

Yeah, you have a point. I did notice there was something I still liked about the current font. I remember thinking how lucky it was to find it in my Win98 Windows folder as a VGA font file with bitplane data that was perfectly ready for use, no editing required.

The pros of the old font aside, I do like seeing the Ys Book I & II font style being restored. It has a more appropriate feel than Courier.

Offline Platypus

• aka Haohmaru
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar. 02, 2007, 07:11:26 PM »
The pros of the old font aside, I do like seeing the Ys Book I & II font style being restored. It has a more appropiate feel than Courier.

Indeed, that was what I meant by "more like a game-font". All things considered the new font is better. If you have the time to make an update that is, I don't know how much work is required to change the font.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #9 on: Mar. 03, 2007, 09:24:02 AM »
Psycho DeuceBag wants to retranslate the game while I'm on extended hiatus, so this font would also get added with a new patch some time down the road. It's not a change you'd see anytime soon.

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar. 03, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »
The pros of the old font aside, I do like seeing the Ys Book I & II font style being restored. It has a more appropriate feel than Courier.

Ah, of course - I thought it looked familiar somehow !
One of the things I liked best about the Ys 1-2 translation was the ability to choose fonts... not that I liked them all, or that I even switched them after the initial choice... but it was a really nice touch.

I also support any effort to provide some kind of consistency across the games in the series...

So... given that this patch won't appear for some time, and given that this font was one from Ys 1-2, is there any chance that the other Ys 1-2 font(s) may appear as patch-time choices on the installer ?  (Obviously, it's too hard to provide it as an in-game choice).

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #11 on: Mar. 03, 2007, 05:17:39 PM »
Eh, that's overkill to me.

Offline ranzor

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar. 07, 2007, 05:09:51 AM »
I really liked the new font and I think you should use it in the next patch.

Offline Arjak

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct. 13, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »
So... ;)

Seriously, though; Love the idea of a revised translation. Also, the new font looks nice; I agree that something never looked quite right about the old one.

And finally, I know this is a long shot and likely beating a dead horse, but is there ANY hope that there will be a Voice Dub? Ever? :-\

EDIT: Never mind: http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/showthread.php?t=45645

;D

Nightwolve, when this is finished, will you work with this guy to incorporate it into the next patch? I think having a complete translation after all of these years would be wonderful!
« Last Edit: Oct. 13, 2009, 10:56:19 PM by Arjak »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #14 on: Oct. 22, 2009, 02:56:20 AM »
Yeah, Gillian ran into his youtube video which is how I found out about it.

I offered to give him the ADPCM extraction work when I get a chance which I assume he needs. He says though he's been having trouble setting up a cast so this'll probably wind up the way it went for Justus. I think you had started up a thread concerning this on the PCFX forums which maybe you might wanna resurrect to help him find willing participants ?

Anyway, yeah, this is definitely something that YOU guys should do if you really wanna make it happen and I'll happily design a new patcher (like my PC patches) to integrate it, eventually that is... As you can see, I'm not online much these days and for numerous other reasons cannot take the project lead for this, thus if somebody else can do it, no reason why I wouldn't make it available here.