>> Toggle Jukebox (On/Off) <<
>> Toggle Jukebox Size (Tiny/Max) <<

Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Poll

Which version of Ys IV is your favorite?

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (Super Famicom)
8 (9.9%)
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC Engine Super CD-ROM²)
43 (53.1%)
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun - A New Theory (PS2)
3 (3.7%)
I love 'em all / Can't decide
27 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Vote for your favorite version of Ys IV!  (Read 32080 times)

Europrick

Re: Vote for your favorite version of Ys IV!
« Reply #30 on: Mar. 15, 2006, 09:40:46 AM »
Imagine the framerate on those games!  :rolleyes: Playing Xanadu Next on an N-Gage was terrible, and it is a lot more powerful than those phones!

YsIV Mask of the Sun - A New Theory is hell on a PS2. I can't even imagine the agony of playing it on a cellphone.

Offline Gamemusicfreak

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Game Music Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Game Music Freak
« Reply #31 on: Mar. 15, 2006, 09:13:08 PM »
I can't imagine playing anything on a cellpone, I think the only game I could stand would be Tetris.
Top favorite game series:  Ys, Legend of Xanadu, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy, Chrono Series.

Top 3 Favorite Game Music Composers:  Yuzo Koshiro,
Motoi Sakuraba, Nobuo Uematsu

Offline Game_Hunter

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar. 18, 2006, 07:50:41 AM »
I think Dawn of Ys is by far the best game, but I can't help wonder how the Mega-CD version of Mask of the Sun would have turned out if "Segafalcom" had finished it.  Their only game on the M-CD was the magnificent Popful Mail so I know that they could have achieved great things with Ys IV, imagine Popful's animation technique used for Mask of the Sun...  The only other games they produced where Dragon Slayer I&II and Lord Monarch on the MD, they should have been CD  >:(  Was there ever ANYTHING shown for the M-CD version or was it canceled so early that nothing was ever prgrammed?  I guess if Falcom decide to continue with the Ys remakes, it will be MotS that they remake which is a shame, maybe Hudson will make re-make DoYs one day though (they own it, correct?).  Then again, after their remakes of the Tengai Makyo games, I think i'd rather them not  :rolleyes:

Europrick

« Reply #33 on: Mar. 18, 2006, 10:05:38 AM »
Ys IV Mask of the Sun for Mega-CD was supposedly Falcom's "lost" scenario (the one they originally worked on themselves). Mask of the Sun for the SFC is not entirely Falcom's own game. Tokyo Shoseki bought it from Falcom and finished the development themselves. Falcom and Hudson made the PCE game together.

Sega Falcom were also working on another Mega-CD title -- Super Brandish. This was canned as well. Supposedly, there was no progress made on either Ys IV nor Super Brandish though.

I have a theory regarding the original Ys IV, but I will need to research it some more before I post it.

Offline Game_Hunter

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar. 18, 2006, 11:44:01 PM »
Oh yea I forgot about Super Brandish, I dont know why they didn't make Ys IV and Super Brandish for the Saturn instead. Now THAT would have been good!   Maybe if they do ever get around to a remake of IV it will be what they intended Ys IV to be in the first place.  After the incredible Oath in Felghana I dont think anyone would really protest another remake of that quality, at least I know I wouldn't.

Europrick

« Reply #35 on: Mar. 19, 2006, 07:43:07 AM »
Been rumors about an Ys IV remake from Falcom. Will probably be their original scenario.

Falcom will release a new PC game this year. A new Ys game. I am sure it will be a remake of Ys IV.

Offline Gamemusicfreak

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Game Music Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Game Music Freak
« Reply #36 on: Mar. 23, 2006, 01:46:46 AM »
I was wondering if they did remake Ys IV, would they just take the numeration out like they did with Oath in Felghana?  Or would they also change the title like Oath as well?  When we first heard the title Oath in Felghana we all knew it had something to do with Ys III.
Now I'm curious if a new Ys game would have some sort of "keyword" that would tip us off to it being another Ys IV remake or not.  Selceta, perhaps?       
Top favorite game series:  Ys, Legend of Xanadu, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy, Chrono Series.

Top 3 Favorite Game Music Composers:  Yuzo Koshiro,
Motoi Sakuraba, Nobuo Uematsu

Europrick

« Reply #37 on: Mar. 23, 2006, 10:25:26 AM »
Could be Celceta the Sea of Trees, that is the title of Adol's diary about this particular adventure (YsIV Mask of the Sun).

Offline Haven

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Who knows? The Shadow knows!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar. 23, 2006, 09:17:15 PM »
Whatever the future of Ys is, I hope:

> If they're gonna use English, use it right

> Don't release garbage OSTs like the YsF Super Arrange

> The reputation on the music set by Oath of Felghana would be retained (especially because the Dawn of Ys OST is my most favorite of all the Ys OSTs)

BTW

Don't you think they should call the Ys games from now on "Wanderers from Ys" since the Ys story arc was finished on the first two games and ended up becoming mere references?

Like you know

> Wanderers from Ys: Oath of Felghana
> Wanderers from Ys: The Mask of the Sun
> Wanderers from Ys: Ark of Napishtim

etc etc....

If I'd know better, the Ys IV remake would simply be called "The Dawn of Ys"

Europrick

« Reply #39 on: Mar. 24, 2006, 04:28:27 AM »
Why would it be called "The Dawn of Ys"? It is not going to be a "The Dawn of Ys" remake. It will be a Mask of the Sun remake.

Offline Haven

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Who knows? The Shadow knows!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Mar. 24, 2006, 02:47:58 PM »
Why would it be called "The Dawn of Ys"? It is not going to be a "The Dawn of Ys" remake. It will be a Mask of the Sun remake.

That's called the "Misleading Title" trick

Hopefully the Ys IV remake would be the definitive part IV of the story

But I think they should add "Wanderers of" to the title^^

ranzor

« Reply #41 on: Jun. 01, 2006, 06:07:08 AM »
You got some crazy ideas, Haven.  :) But you're right, Ys isn't a very suitable name to the series other than I and II. I played Mask of the Sun for SNES and I'm playing Dawn of Ys now, and I have to say DoY is MUCH better. It's been a while since I played MotS and I don't remember all of the story so well, but the story in DoY is great. I couldn't help myself and after a while I read the whole script and I really like the way they conected everything to the story of I and II. And the whole thing about reviving that guy works better for me than the story in MotS. Anyway, I'm voting for it. I haven't played the PS2 version, but everywhere I read about it says that it's pretty crappy. I really hope Falcom remakes it for the PC (and Ys V too!)

p.s. The translation for Dawn of Ys is great, NightWolve! A shame you couldn't fit in some subtitles, then it would be perfect.

Europrick

« Reply #42 on: Jun. 01, 2006, 08:13:49 AM »
Ranzor: What happens in DoY doesn't really "happen" -- i.e. Dark Fact is never resurrected, Sara never comes back to life, etc. It's all Hudson's own story and isn't part of the real Ys timeline.

Offline xneoangel

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jun. 01, 2006, 08:29:11 AM »
Could you be careful with the spoilers? i havent finished the game yet.  :~(

Europrick

« Reply #44 on: Jun. 01, 2006, 10:12:30 AM »
Oh dear, I'm sorry. A bit of advice: never read anything about a game until you've finished it. Every time I look up something about a game I'm currently playing, I'm always accidentally finding lots of spoilers ruining a lot of the fun.