Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Question about the upcomming Translation  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Question about the upcomming Translation
« on: Aug. 24, 2006, 02:13:32 PM »
First of all let me thank you NW for the wonderful work you have done with the Ys series.(really enjoying YS 1and2).  Ok my Question is are you Translating both FC and SC?  Thanks again

Offline ViperD

• Eager Initiate
  • Silly gilly.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the upcomming Translation
« Reply #1 on: Aug. 24, 2006, 06:05:30 PM »
Only FC is being looked at for translation, though SC wouldn't be that tough to extract the script.

Offline xneoangel

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug. 24, 2006, 10:15:57 PM »
Has someone taken on the task of translating it?

Last time i checked i saw that it would be hard because it was a huge script.

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug. 24, 2006, 11:42:12 PM »
Has someone taken on the task of translating it?

Last time i checked i saw that it would be hard because it was a huge script.

I had the understanding from this very site that NW has undertaken this huge task.  Allthough it seems it will be several years befor we see anything.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #4 on: Aug. 25, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »
Allthough it seems it will be several years befor we see anything.

Yeah, that's right. Several years, and that's if the translators stick around by the time I get the script ready as well as if I'm ready to continue fan translations post real life adjustments. Only FC was being looked at. Gillian told me that my ED6UnPack tool also works on SC, so the raw script files are already available were I to look at them, but this is already a crazy idea undertaking FC to begin with. I'm gonna ease off a bit after the Felghana and Ys VI patches are ready, and I'll see in next year or in the coming years if this will go anywhere. It all depends.

I dunno if I should hide this whole dedicated ED6 FC forum, as it's safe to say it's a bit misleading. I prefer not to announce projects I know I'll not one day finish/work on, but I guess I got a bit too excited when I first hacked this after the translators approached me. We'll see how things go down the road, though.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug. 25, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »
Hey NW I was just gonna say if you do take on this project fully and the Translators arnt around when your ready with the scrip couldnt you just use the services of these guys

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/services/document_translation.html

Of course im sure we could all scrape together the money it would cost to translate it so you wouldnt have to pay a dime.  Thier site says thier fast so im sure it wouldnt take em long.  Just thought id bring it up.  Keep up the good work!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #6 on: Aug. 25, 2006, 07:37:39 PM »
No, Ys fans aren't that fanatic. There would be no funding for it, and I'm not gonna pay for it myself.

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug. 25, 2006, 09:12:22 PM »
No, Ys fans aren't that fanatic. There would be no funding for it, and I'm not gonna pay for it myself.

Oh i wouldnt expect you to pay for it NW.  I was just saying I think people would send you donations to do this.  Well just a thought

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #8 on: Aug. 25, 2006, 10:18:47 PM »
I was just saying I think people would send you donations to do this.  Well just a thought

That's naive wishful thinking. In some 4 years I've been doing this, I've gotten maybe 15-20 donations. Then there's the fact that if I make some official drive to raise funds, that will make me more responsible for delivering a product in the end, and I don't need nor want that kind of responsibility/obligation. Fan translating effectively causes you to lose lots and lots and lots of money, not make. My losses doing this are unrecoverable. If I was smart, I'd quit right now and attend to my finances which I've been slowly trying to do, but I still enjoy doing this kind of work so I keep things going against my better judgment.