Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Wanna help finish the Felghana patch? I need volunteers for remaining tasks!  (Read 55987 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Just one thing, do you want to keep the line dividing the english and japanese text?

Ah damn, too late. Yeah, I wanted the underline left in. I can wait whenever you get the chance. I've still got plenty to do. Maybe you can do a better underlining than what was there before instead of restoring it. I'd like to see that if you would.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
Anyway, I did this myself, then I had MP83 do it, but I'm still not satisfied and would like to see how well you could clean it up. Attached is the other map used in the game (You can un7zip it with this). Now, all I want you do to is erase the Japanese text underneath the English in this one. That's all it needs. BUT, there is no clean reference image point, so one needs to use clone/blur/smudge tools, etc. effectively to accomplish this.

I know this might come a bit late, but here's the cleanest reference image of that map we can get:

/mapfromysfpreviewml6.png

It's a combined screenshot taken from Falcom's Oath in Felghana preview video. It shows most of the map, but not all of it. Not sure if it's needed anymore, though.

BTW, johnnybleu. Great work so far! 8)

Offline johnnybleu

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Here you go. Map, complete with underline! I basically just took the lines that were there before, but made them go under the entire name- which I think looks better. Anyway, let me hear what you think! Any ideas, opinions, suggestions, complaints- lemme have 'em!

Enjoy! Oh, and thanks a bunch for the map MP83. Unfortunately, you ARE a bit late. But no biggie, I think it would have been harder to take pieces from the reference map and try to make them match, rather than simply drawing over the text.

Thanks!
-JF

Offline 2X4

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
I think it would be awesome if you guys made those cleaned images available for download, - maybe NW could host them here!  It would be a cool little bonus.  You guys' work looks incredible!  I got a donation just a burnin' a hole in my paypal account when you get this done NightWolve!

Offline FireHawkX

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
yeah it does look awesome!! :) too bad i cam back too late to have fun editing stuff! :)

im kinda bad with fonts and typos... but i just tried task 3 and that last map for fun... and it was looking pretty cute ;)

anyway cant wait for it to finish... i was stuck with the game and put it on hold till i could get english... hehe... and i'll definitively find some money for a donation too when this is released! :)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Anyway, let me hear what you think! Any ideas, opinions, suggestions, complaints- lemme have 'em!

I think we're all set with this. It looks great. Alright, you can email the original then.

Do you have an IM client, AIM and/or MSN, btw?

I think it would be awesome if you guys made those cleaned images available for download, - maybe NW could host them here!  It would be a cool little bonus.  You guys' work looks incredible!  I got a donation just a burnin' a hole in my paypal account when you get this done NightWolve!

Well, you'll get all of these images when you run the patch at the end of the day. They'll be in the original DDS format in your YSF_WIN folder, and thanks to this thread, you'll know how to view them using WTV.

Offline johnnybleu

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Great, I'll e-mail it right now. And I do have MSN- johnnybleu@hotmail.com
I added you to my list using your yahoo address, but I haven't seen you pop online since.

Offline RyuRanX

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Wow... the map is looking great !!! Nice work  ;)
The Light of the Blind you’ll see
The venom that tears my spine
The Eyes of the Nile are opening - you’ll see

Offline indowill

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Still need help with Photoshop edits?  I can help out in my spare time.  Let me know. 

Offline KM

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
So which pics are still left to do?

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
I gave a few more remaining pics/tasks to johnny directly over IM, since I'm happy with his work. I just got online today and haven't checked my email, but hopefully he's produced some results by now that I'll find in my inbox. I'll let you know if I need more work done, but I think I'm squared away for now if johnny can do everything I wanted. Thanks.

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
Yeah, Johnny's done one hell of a job.  For the sake of consistency, it might be a good idea to have him redo Tasks 1 and 2.  No offense intended to the people who attempted #2, but something felt like it was missing in the versions that I saw (not that I could do much better...).

I have a question about the diary feature translation problems:  does the game automatically clip the text vertically as well as horizontally?  The way the diary is laid out, there is a lot of whitespace between successive entries, so it might be a good idea to use multiple lines for really long names.  Of course, if the game clips vertically, that idea is out the window...
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
I remember running into some form of clipping problem, so I arranged things as best I could to avoid it.

EDIT: Oh yes, specifically, it's due to the selection box. The text can't go passed the selection box/selector. Observe the Topics screenshots below:

When you select "17. Anya", that selector will be aligned correctly as with "22. Father Jan Pierre". This response is due to someone earlier asking me why couldn't I move that third column more to the right, and now I remember. That selector image that's blended in will not align properly. When you move the selector to the right, its left edge winds up one pixel more to where its right edge used to be, if that makes sense. Start the game and position the selector to the left, and move it to the right three times and you'll see what I mean. I had to keep with the same alignment as where the Japanese used to be. What I had to do in the case of say #22 is reduce the font spacing to get it to fit, etc.

Anyway, this is all taken care of and I'm not going back to redo it all, so... But now you understand why.

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
So my hunch was right.  Thanks for the reply.

There are some translators that tend to dismiss possible solutions simply because they didn't give the matter much thought (for instance, SNES translators who don't think of relocating string terminators and modifying pointers, then claim there's not enough space for the translated text).  I knew from the start that you weren't one of these people, but for some reason I wanted to be absolutely sure (maybe because this is Felghana we're talking about...  I dunno :-\).

While the Diary doesn't look as good as it could (due to the limitations you have to deal with), it works and I doubt anyone would complain very much.  The only way you could deliver a "perfect" localization would be to get the source files from Falcom, and we both know that's not going to happen.

Keep up the good work.  My brother and I are eagerly looking forward to your translation patch, even though we've both already finished the game.
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
I think I'm getting everything I need already from the current volunteers and from another place.

Offline Gillian Seed

• Snatcher Killer
  • Eager Initiate
  • Silly Vip
    • View Profile
    • Gillian Seed's Site
Then stay tuned for other projects !  8)
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ... "

Offline ViperD

• Eager Initiate
  • Silly gilly.
    • View Profile
Then stay tuned for other projects !  8)
*hint* *hint*

Offline Slayne

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Kudos to those helping out :)

Map looks great.

Offline geise

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Guys this is looking great! :)  Thank you everyone that is helping Nightwolve out.  Also to everyone that's helping if you have a paypal account set up for donations please let me know.  Nightwolve you'll also have another donation when this gets realeased.  Thanks again!

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Yessss. Yessss. Now that's more of what I like to hear. ^^

Offline Big Buck

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Yes, I agree.  Great work on this project.  I was thinking today that I may not be the only RPG Fan out there that is looking forward to this patch as much as if not more than Final Fantasy XII.  I can't decide which one I am more excited about.  After seeing the last post I thought it might be nice to have a goal to shoot for.  I've never had a PayPal account but I will get one and donate to Nightwolve.  Hopefully it makes for a faster release too!
'If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.'

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Alright, we have the translations of the Manuals by WyrdWad, the same guy who did the translating for that Ys Typing Tutor game I released earlier. MP83 has a copy of that translation and will work on entering the text into the text layers he set up in the 12 cleaned out versions of those Manual images he did earlier. Certainly, this is good news and moves things forward, but it doesn't mean I'm going change the update status for patch release to "soon" and/or "imminent." Just means one less issue is left. My free time as far as when I get to put things all together is still at issue and I'm not always online. But anyhow, this is good news and does move things forward.

Offline Negi

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
How much more actually needs to be done?  How accurate is the project page?

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
I can't quantify things any further. It just tires me out and really can't convey "how much longer." As far as raw images that are left, the image percentage rate can be increased on that project page. But the tough images are still being worked on like the Manual pages, and I just have to wait till those are given to me. I also have my own work to do on the boss and mural text images plus a few others, which I haven't had a chance to do.

Anyway, when things move forward, that is, another milestone is reached, it'll be made known. The main purpose of the thread was to help me get to the finish line by enlisting help, not so much to better quantify the project status and/or produce an exact release date for those of you who are anxious and continue to poll this site for clues. What I have said in the past is I would like to make it by Christmas, but if I don't, it's gonna have to wait for early next year obviously.

Offline bruno321

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
I'm not going to ask "how much longer?" or "will it make it to Christmas?" cause I know those questions are annoying. I'm just going to ask if it is making any progress, just that. Because I'm really looking forward to this translation, and it'd be a shame if it remained stagnant.

Thanks a lot for all your wonderful work.

Bruno.

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Yeah, i'm waiting for it too, but all good things come in time, the last thing i want is a translation patch to look half-assed. So i'll wait untill they release it, i'm also sure they are working on other projects and have Real Life Duties.
So don't worry it's coming.
Blaze, the man of simple words

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
^^ well a half-ass translation is still better than nothing. Take dragon quest VI and Star Ocean for SNES for example. Both of them are incomplete and both of them probably won't ever be complete because the two teams that worked on it disbanded. But can you say that this is the "LAST THING" you would want? of course not.

If Nightwolve were to drop his project tomorrow and just release whatever he has, I think a lot of people would still be happy.

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
All I know about the translation progress is that I've placed Wyrdwad's tutorial translations in the cleaned tutorial images some time ago, and have sent the final results to NightWolve, which I hope he was happy with. :)

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
"the last thing i want is a translation patch to look half-assed"

Yeah the LAST THING i would want as in the worst case senario, if they did drop it and released what they had done, i would be happy but thats the LAST THING i would want to happen. Understand where i'm comming from?

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
All I want is the Full-Assed translation together with the hole.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
"the last thing i want is a translation patch to look half-assed"

Yeah the LAST THING i would want as in the worst case senario, if they did drop it and released what they had done, i would be happy but thats the LAST THING i would want to happen. Understand where i'm comming from?

Does the end always justify the mean for you? Just because there's no complete version doesn't mean you can't be satisfy with it. Personally I doubt there's anything as a complete version since there's probably going to be patches (provided he does release them) for bugs, grammar, etc. But just because something ISN'T finish doesn't mean it's not good enough. Let's say Nightwolve drops the project tomorrow (hopefully not), would that make all his hardwork go to waste? Of course not, and infact I think people can still enjoy it in it's own right. So instead of some exponential curve where your satisfaction suddenly shots up to infinite once the project is done, think of it as a linear curve that yields appropriate satisfaction.

Offline Anonymous2379

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
I would like to point out the fact, that even if NW releases the translation patch without things like "translated tutorial images", I would be moar then happy. Why? It's simple - I don't care much for "extra content" as mentioned above. It means nothing for gameplay - they are already plenty of sites explaining every little secret the game has to offer. It's not that hard to look for it, when needed...

My greatest concern is time itself. We have a nice 100% value next to ingame text. It's the most important thing - I understand that soem images (like town names and map names) are a necessity, but they are plenty that can be released as an "extra translation bonus" rather then in one neat package at official release moment. I also know, how bloody hard it is to make hard-txt'ed images look "oryginal" after shopping the japanese text off... and how time consuming it is. That's why - why not just leave the "extras" as they are - and speed the thing up a bit?

If it's not acceptable - ok, I understand the point (releasing a "full" patch is moar satisfying then "translation" and "extras patch"). Just please keep people informed about the results AND extra tasks that can be done by community. I'd help, if there's anything left, but please, make some priorities, so people will not have to wait next 3 months for 14 tutorial pages and frontscreens they already have, saw and found translations of months ago. ;)

Again, I really appreciate Your work (and everyone involved) - it's great that one of the most pleasing titles as for gameplay matters is being fanlated. :)

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
i don't want to start an argument so... i'll just agree with memoryjar.

Offline Dankrigannon

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
The thing is... they have gone this far.  It would not make sense to release a version that is not complete.  Especially because we are impatient.  Wait it out, and I am sure the final patch will be perfect.  This patch isnt just for people who have played it 20 times and know every detail about the game... it is also for people who have never played it.  It needs to be complete, and that takes time.   It will be done when it is done.   Lets just hope that is sooner than later.
To Make the End of Battle

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
^^ nah, i'm not trying to raise an arguement, I just don't like how Nightwolve is being expected to release anything at all and us fans want nothing less than a complete version. Personally, after playing poor translated games since the snes era I find that it's a god send just to be able to anything translated. some of you may remember how hard it is to come by them in the past. And with the recent trends, translators are just leaving one after another....

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
2 months are a reasonable time to wait. besides Nigthwolve and Psycho DeuceBag will probably have at least 3 days of vacations on the holidays.

Offline Big Buck

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
My 2 cents.

See, here's my problem.  You've got people like Nightwolve and Psycho DeuceBag out there that have the knowledge and skill to do something like this, not to mention the ambition and will to stick with it.  Then there are some "Fans" with no knowledge of programming, graphic editing or Japanese that have to do nothing else but wait to reap the benefits of someone else's hard work.  Not to mention the fact that we all have this site to talk about it all that, correct me if I'm wrong, is Nightwolves site.  For me, I am excited as hell.  I can't think of any past translation project that I have so eagerly awaited.  I put the release of this patch on par with releases like the next Final Fantasy installment. All I'm really saying is: Talk about the release, get excited but, try and loose the attitude that we as fans deserve anything or that Nightwolve is going to change his game plan and devote his life to meet a few impatient needs.  He is a god among mere mortal Falcom fans and anyone on this site should simply appreciate him and his work for whenever we are graced with a release.

AND, if you really want to speed things up try donating something.  I'm pretty sure it would help the project and would be decent thing to do.
« Last Edit: Dec. 03, 2006, 10:05:56 PM by Big Buck »
'If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.'

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
I seriously would and probably will eventualy when i get a credit card... i'll prolly donate $20 or so dollars. but yeah i did not mean to sound.... uhhh selfish, sorry if i did.

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
Good! Now I'm very pleased with the results. The game looks very well done except the database dictionary who on the right page the words looks far to the left but I guess that   
this is unrepairable. 

Offline Big Buck

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
I wasn't really referring to your comments Blaze.  In Fact I agree with you and memoryjar.  Your comment about Real Life Duties was right on my point.  If I was a bettin' man I'd say they devote quite a bit of time on this project as is.  And the work will prove that.  I think most of us will agree that because of the level of work and care they put into this translation, when it's all said and done any amount of time we've waiting will be well worth it.