Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Wanna help finish the Felghana patch? I need volunteers for remaining tasks!  (Read 55995 times)

Offline Blaze

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Yup!  ;D
Blaze, the man of simple words

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Relax, there's not gonna be a "project dropped" status all of a sudden or ever for that matter. I dunno how that fear came about, especially since I'm right at the finish line in terms of completion as I thought has been explained. I just haven't been able to get on the PC for several days now. I've been busy with home repairs, preparing/dealing with winter which hit Chicago pretty damn hard recently. Unexpected expenses, real life issues, blah blah, has taken its toll on my free time, basically. Add to that, my car's muffler went bad (rusted hole), so I had to drop another $124 today to take care of that, in addition to other expenses that came at a bad time. I have not been in a good mood for weeks to say the least.

But anyway, I take real issue with the demands I read here. I want a fully completed patch, all images included... That's final AND it's gonna take as long as it takes. (You can partly blame whiners who bitched after using my 70% Ys II Complete demo patch for that.) Another part of my reasoning is that as far as I'm concerned, the more time needed, the better. After all, Psycho DeuceBag and I agreed to ignore this project for nearly a year after the first draft of the script was translated. We got ahead of ourselves and took a step back and said we ought to simply wait and see what happens with regards to possible licensing of this game. That's not an issue anymore, of course, and it's full speed ahead now. But I raise it because I don't mind letting even more time go by which is better for me since my schedule is not what it used to be.

That all being said, I'm not sure if I can make it by Christmas. There's very little work left, but that is not the issue. I haven't had a free moment with no distractions where I can just sit down and put the work into the remaining images and to start writing up the ReadMe. No patch of mine will go public until I can finish the ReadMe, which can take me quite a bit of time. Also, I don't need anything from anyone right now. MP83 delivered the translated images as he mentioned, the last bit of work I needed help with, so the ball's all in my court now. You're just gonna have to wait.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Ask yourselves this... after the results we had with the Ys2C patch, why would we settle for anything less than that level of quality?

That said, NW, if you need more help with the readme, I'll do what I can.

Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana aside, the next few months will be most delightful for Ys fans... but saying any more would be telling, now, wouldn't it? ;)
Jeff "Call me DeuceBag!" Nussbaum - The greatest criminal in fan translation history! A lying, conniving, thieving, scheming, backstabbing monster of epic proportions!

Offline bruno321

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Well that's reassuring! Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the translation and I thank you once again. Your work is wonderful.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
hmm... could it be that Nightwolve is busy with christmas shopping?

*strokes beard
young man, come sit over Santa's lap and tell Santa what you want for christmas! ho ho ho!

Maybe this way, WE can ALL get our desired christmas presents.
« Last Edit: Dec. 06, 2006, 12:19:15 AM by memoryjar »

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
Ys Origin?

Offline Dankrigannon

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile

Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana aside, the next few months will be most delightful for Ys fans... but saying any more would be telling, now, wouldn't it? ;)

Now what would be more delightful than Oath in Felghana in english and a brand new Ys?  I cant think of much....
To Make the End of Battle

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Don't forget, there's always the Ys Typing Tutor game to keep you anxious folks busy in the meantime. ;)

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
^^ that game is rigged man, there's no way anyone can beat hard mode unless they're professionals

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile

Now what would be more delightful than Oath in Felghana in english and a brand new Ys?  I cant think of much....

Ys V Lost Kefin City of Sand English Patch :)

Offline Blue Suit Riot

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Str8 ^
    • View Profile

Ys V Lost Kefin City of Sand English Patch :)

You're going to have to excuse me. It seems I have just developed an embarrassing erection.

Oh yea and 1st post. olo.

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
wait where is this english patch coming from?

Offline Dankrigannon

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Its not... I think he is just saying that is would be pretty rad if that was released on top of Origin and the Felghana patch.

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Its not... I think he is just saying that it would be pretty rad if that was released on top of Origin and the Felghana patch.

It is!

Offline memoryjar

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Its not... I think he is just saying that is would be pretty rad if that was released on top of Origin and the Felghana patch.

It is!

Life always leads to more opportunistic events !!!

Offline Jan Sauer

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
    • Xenosaga Episodio 3: En castellano
Hi there!

I like to help too, but i want to go more foward, if you want i can translate the script to spanish. I have dreamed much time to play the oath in felghana translated to english or spanish and have found this site... woow i don't have words, this is a gift for heavens^^

Hence i want to help, i don't want to get some without give some in return, and more some like this. Please put in contact with me when you want.
Las verdades se fabrican a partir de pequeñas mentiras.

Offline bishopcruz

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Well, I can't do much more than proofread, as I did with Ys II E, but I sent $15 to ya to buy a meal or two.

Offline Superlocke

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys :D
    • View Profile
Hey! I spend lots of time working with photoshop CS, and I'm going to school for graphic design.
I also had a brief stint editing manga for translations, so if I can be of any help, just throw me a project :)

Offline Falcomfan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile

That all being said, I'm not sure if I can make it by Christmas. There's very little work left, but that is not the issue. I haven't had a free moment with no distractions where I can just sit down and put the work into the remaining images and to start writing up the ReadMe. No patch of mine will go public until I can finish the ReadMe, which can take me quite a bit of time. Also, I don't need anything from anyone right now. MP83 delivered the translated images as he mentioned, the last bit of work I needed help with, so the ball's all in my court now. You're just gonna have to wait.

I think that about Sums it up.  Thiers nothing left to do :)
« Last Edit: Dec. 16, 2006, 05:51:50 PM by Falcomfan »

Offline shades_of_blue

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
NightWolve – good to hear that things are almost complete, thank you and all those involved once again, for all their hard work. And I’m sure that I’ll be saying that at least once more when VI is finished as well. ;)

Psycho DeuceBag – Thanks for the update on Ys V, I had wrote it off as a lost cause at this point. Good luck translating it, I for one look forward to finally being able to play it in English.

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
I'd just like to state for the record that I am extremely opposed to using "Redmont Town" as opposed to "Town of Redmont."  It's a title, not part of the proper name. It's a bit like saying "Chicago City."

Sounds to me like something a certain you-know-who would've used, had it been up to her...
Jeff "Call me DeuceBag!" Nussbaum - The greatest criminal in fan translation history! A lying, conniving, thieving, scheming, backstabbing monster of epic proportions!

Offline Dankrigannon

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
City of New York???

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
But those titles looks best by adding a "The" before.

Offline Psycho DeuceBag

• The Criminal
  • Douche Kings
  • Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Nah.  There's no need for a definite article in such circumstances... particularly since it's not being used in a sentence.  It's not incorrect, mind you, but it's extraneous.  I'd just as soon leave it as "Redmont" with nothing else.  It's obviously a town, just by looking at it.

"Redmont Town" just looks goofy, and is incorrect besides (as is "Minea Town").

Offline Dankrigannon

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Thats what I was gonna say,  just call it Redmont.   Redmont town doesnt work.  Its known that Redmont is a town, as it is known that Chicago is a city.  If someone doesnt know that Redmont is a town, then you would say Im moving to the town of Redmont. Then once it is known that Redmont is a town, you can just call it Redmont. 

Offline TDOMMX

• Eager Initiate
  • I won't give up.
    • View Profile
    • Darkside Translations
I spoke with NightWolve about this issue (among other possible tweaks and inconsistencies).  He gave me two reasons for leaving the name as "Redmont Town":
1)  It would take too much time and effort to update every instance of "Redmont Town" with "Redmont" or "The Town of Redmont", especially without clean source material (ie: non-JPEGed version of the map, without captions).  Remember that all of these are graphics, not regular text.
2)  He wants to maintain consistency with Ys I-II Complete's and The Dawn of Ys' "Minea Town" (the alternative being extensive retconning of all current patches).

I find reason #2 to be suspect since we have Ruins of Illburns instead of Illburns Ruins (vs. Moondoria Ruins in Ys II), but the first reason is good enough in my book.  If he were to erase "Town", for instance, without a clean source, whatever he puts to cover up the removed word will stick out like a sore thumb.  If we had a lossless version of the map in the exact same dimensions as used in the game (or larger), then it would be another story.
This is TDOMMX (formerly Magus0857) signing out.

Offline Neo-Kaiser

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
I say that is best to leave things as they are so the patch may not be delayed any further.

Offline Superlocke

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys :D
    • View Profile
If you would be so kind as to share the dimensions and/or the picture in question I would be more than happy to help.

devdevil

cant wait till the patch is done even though i beat the game already but yeah.
thanks nightwolve for making this patch. ;D

Offline raddbgt

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
well I came to help but I think I’m too late  :-\
well thx in Advance for the English patch NM ,after that hard work I think every one who's going to enjoy the game in English (  ;) ) well be grateful  to you and every one that helped in this project  8)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Thanks for the continued offering of help folks, but I think I'm OK. The manuals are mostly out of the way. There is one little issue I have left which is choosing a font for the Mural text though. I need a cool looking TTF font for it. Attached are screenshots. Spoiler translations are also below, fair warning, but they'll help with providing context in picking a font so you'll need to read them to get an idea and so forth.

この地を蹂躙せし         This is the memory of a beast which came
海より来たりし存在の記憶――      from across the sea and polluted our land...

刻が全てを消し去ろうとも         It is our hope that all trace of it will be
後世の平穏を願いてここに遺す。      erased, that future generations may know peace.

邪悪なる瘴気の渦、         Out of a vortex of purest evil,
生あるものを惑い狂わし         creature was born, driven mad by
魔をこの世に生み起こす。      the truth of its origins.

暴虐なる力は破壊のみを語り      It used its powers of destruction, and
精霊の王たちをも従属せしめる。      subjugated even the spirits of our land.

あまたの精霊は朽ち果て         Many of these spirits decayed into dust,
フェルガナの大地は穢れ堕つ。      leaving Felghana to soon follow.

人の業より生まれし忌まわしき存在。      It was a being more atrocious than any act of man.
その名は――ガルバラン――      Its name was... Galbalan...

---

So, the task is finding the best font to deliver this message about an important part of the game's story, etc.

Offline duke4711

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
I really want to thank Nightwolve, Psycho DeuceBag, and all others involved for this wonderful translation. It's totally awesome, I just can't wait to see it when it's completely finished. I was also wondering if someone could please post a translation for the text right before the fight with Galbalan? Some of it is already translated, but a lot is still in Japanese. Thank you in advance.
Great spirits have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Albert Einstein

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
I really want to thank Nightwolve, Psycho DeuceBag, and all others involved for this wonderful translation. It's totally awesome, I just can't wait to see it when it's completely finished. I was also wondering if someone could please post a translation for the text right before the fight with Galbalan? Some of it is already translated, but a lot is still in Japanese. Thank you in advance.

You didn't follow the advice of the 2nd email I sent out telling you to download and install it again. ;) The missing text for Galbalan is fixed. Just download and run it again.

Offline duke4711

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Got it, thank you. The minute I saw the first e-mail, I installed it and started to play it.
-Albert Einstein

Offline legendarygamer

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Just made a donation a few minutes ago. Can't wait until patch is completed. Great work to you all who helped. I have not tested the beta and asked for a copy. Though I can wait for the completed project. I love the Ys series and being able to play it in english is a blessing! I love the types of action adventure RPGs.
Thanks!
legendarygamer :)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Check your email. You have it now.

Note: If you make a donation, you have to wait for my next opportunity online before I email you the info on where to download the current YsF patch, etc.

Offline legendarygamer

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Emailed link says dose not exist. Is there another link?

Offline legendarygamer

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile

Sorry and thank you! nevermind I find out what to do. :D O BOY!

Offline duke4711

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
The same thing happened to me when I first tried to download it. Copy and paste the link into your address bar and it should work.
-Albert Einstein